Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, March 23, 2013

I brought a little joy into my mother's life today. Using Google Streetview I was able to show her the house in Liverpool where her grandmother had lived, and also the Albany pub in which she'd lived as a child until her family moved to a larger pub 'across the water' in Birkenhead at the outbreak of World War 2. I offered to take her to see it but she replied – with some justification – that the internet had made this unnecessary. Plus it was still a rough area, she feared.

Another find today was my father's dog-tags and his flying school student manuals. With luck, I'll be able to fly a Spitfire within a day or two.

Back in Spain, the man responsible for the surplus-to-requirements Castellón airport and the statue of himself outside it – Carlos Fabra – is finally to stand trial for influence-peddling, bribery and tax fraud. Somehow or other, he's been able to delay this for nine - yes, nine - years. I've no idea how but I assume it involves endless appeals. And the sort of frivolous proceedings that the Spanish courts don't seem to punish. In a nice touch, Fabra has resigned as President of the Airport organisation.

Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write – Click here for information on the seven dwarves of Auschwitz.

No comments: