Dawn

Dawn

Monday, March 04, 2013

Well, I did manage to get the weekend events together without too much difficulty in the end. Today I was invited to lunch at the local tennis club by my lovely neighbours Ester and Jacobo. Sadly, the only item on the menu was cocido, which is the Galician peasant equivalent of roast beef and also of my childhood favourite of Irish stew. If you see what I mean. But at least it wasn't tripe. And I actually enjoyed it.

Most of the arranging for Saturday night was done via text messaging and this threw up a query about the English equivalent of Hola, Chico. My Spanish (lady)friend wrote Hello, Boy but the only context in which I can recall 'Boy' being used is white racist to black man. So, I got to wondering what would be a good alternative. And I still haven't come up with one. Likewise, what should we say in English for the common Spanish sign-off – Abrazos? A (male) friend, used 'Hugs' today but it didn't feel right. But, then, 'Embraces' doesn't either.

Talking of words . . . I learned yesterday a new Spanish expression for 'talkative' – Hablar por los codos. To talk through your elbows. I also learned that the innocent-sounding pelotón – much used for the leading group of riders in the Tour de France and the Gira de España – can also mean 'firing squad'. This is the sort of thing you pick up when reading a book entitled Berlín 1945: La Caida.

Talking of matters military . . . Some Spanish general has pronounced – in the context of Catalan separatism – that “The State is more important than democracy.” I recall that the last time something like this was said a few years back, it cost the speaker his job. But it doesn't seem to have even ruffled feathers this time. I guess it was a left-of-centre government the last time round.

Italy. Berlusconi. What can one say? Almost certainly not 'Convergence'. Their political system – if there really is one – is surely sui generis. Mind you, it could be worse. I seem to recall they changed their government every week when I was a kid.

Finally . . . After 12 years, I'm still capable of being shocked in Spain. As I was getting out of my car this evening outside my house, a large 4x4 drew up and started to park. The driver was a child of about 5, albeit sitting on the lap of a woman somewhat older. Perhaps it was the look on my face but she/they decided to abort their attempt and park further down the road.


Publisher's Note: Only minutes after I wrote that I had no idea why page views had soared, I got a message from my friend, Fran, who's big in the Anglo Galician Competition, in which he told me they'd kindly driven traffic my way.

No comments: