Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, April 06, 2013

I'm always fascinated by people who know they have an insight into God's mind. Listening to a podcast discussion on the drive back from Santander this evening, I was left rather slack-jawed by the comment of an 'Evangelical' that God cared about climate change. And that evidence for this could be found in the Bible. I'm not really surprised; I'm sure the evidence for any belief – including Devil worship – can be found in the Bible. Or any holy book, for that matter. Seek and ye shall find. As they say.

It seems that the binge drinking that's an engrained aspect of British culture is down to the Dutch. Years ago, the Brits had no word that meant to drink to excess. But then they discovered the (Middle) Dutch word busen – meaning exactly that - and it was all downhill from then on, as the British decided it was an attractive proposition. And so the word 'booze' was born. From which it was only a hop, skip and a prat-fall to binge drinking.

I'd half-expected to see today's Grand National on the TV on the boat over from Portsmouth, since our arrival in Santander was scheduled for 4.30 British time. But, no, just this once the boat was an hour and a half ahead of time. So, as the steeplechase was being run, we were all sitting in our cars waiting for the bloody ramps to go down.

Nor, of course, did I get to see the Scouse girls on their Ladies Day at Aintree on Thursday. But reader Perry kindly sent me this in compensation. It's a tad disturbing – and annoying – that the BBC seems to think Liverpool is in Manchester. Well, one Northern city is the same as the next to them, I guess. Anyway, here's some more pix.

And my old scouting friend, KK, has suggested the SALTAC brewery on the Wellington Hotel window was probably Thomas Salt & Co. Which is surely right.

Finally . . . I stopped off in (Royal) Leamington Spa on the way down to Portsmouth. On leaving it, I clocked the offices of a couple of solicitors called Wright & Hassal. Appropriately enough.

No comments: