Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kim-Sum-Rajoy; Names!; Words and more words; & Gypsy wrath.


The Spanish President, Sr Rajoy, gave a state-of-the-nation address to Parliament yesterday. At the end of it, the serried ranks of his PP party stood up en masse and applauded him to the rafters. Except for the smiles on everyone's face, it rather reminded me of similar events in North Korea.

Rajoy has endorsed his stance that a referendum on Catalan independence will not take place as it would be illegal. He'll be telling us next that corruption doesn't exist in Spain because it's illegal. Meanwhile, I guess he'll be slapping an injunction on President Mas of Cataluña. Though, the good news is he's also said he's open to dialogue. Not before time.

The old expat name game: Anyone who lives here knows it's hard for the Spanish to get their heads around the combination of two forenames and one surname. It being the opposite case here. And you'll also know this leads to endless problems. The latest for me is the Honda concessionary in Vigo calling to tell me I didn't exist on the Honda computer, though my car did. I said this was OK as it was the car that needed repairing, not me. Nonetheless, I had to give him my ID number. This time I felt it best not to do what I routinely do with the postman and give something totally fictitious.

Words 1: I see from the TV reports that Independence Square in Kiev is call 'Meidan' in Ukrainian. I assume this is related to the Arabic/Persian word for square, also meidan. From which Spanish gets Alameda. Small world.

Words 2: I see the internet has thrown up the new word/phrase - clickbait/click bait. Which seems to mean something in an on-line paper or mag which is designed to attract the maximum number of clicks. Usually with breasts.


Words 3: Musing on the major corruption case labelled Gurtel, I was wondering how it got its un-Spanish name. Turns out this is the German for Correa (belt), which is the name of one of the 'protagonists', as they're called here. A bit more musing led me to the conclusion that the English equivalent is Girdle. Problem solved. Details of this case here.

Words 4: Reading through something from the 18th century the other day, I came across a couple of words which have fallen out of use but which I feel should be brought back. One such is whim-wham. No idea what it means.

Finally . . . A gypsy man from Lugo has been arrested for the abduction and murder of his pregnant wife. The latter was from one of the gypsy encampments near my home and I was intrigued to read that the police had intervened to stop members of her family travelling to Lugo to 'settle accounts' with the man's family. As the report had it, the police had stopped the Pontevedra gang because they were showing signs of planning to approach the Lugo gang con intenciones poco amistosas. I'll bet!

The Environment

January: 31 days. On which it rained: 28 - 93% 


February: 26 days. On which it has rained: 26 - 100%.
So, 54 out of 57 - 95%.

No comments: