Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, December 14, 2014

The EU; Spain's judges; That airport; Sects/sex; Gallego groan; Canadian moans; Russell Brand; & My home.

The Bundesbank has come out against the economic plans of Spain's exciting new political party, Podemos. Which is almost certainly justified but what is a German institution doing interfering in Spanish domestic matters? Chutzpah or Teutonic arrogance?

Which reminds me . . . The new EU President, Mr Juncker, has announced that, henceforth, there will be less interference in member affairs. And that pigs will be trained to fly.

There's a huge political fight going on about who's to sit on Spain's General Council of Judicial Power. This is the body which regularly sacks or demotes judges who don't take the required line. But I guess the same sort of thing goes on in the USA in respect of the Supreme Court. However, I don't think I've ever heard of a UK judge being treated in this way. They stay until they pop their clogs. Or until they're quietly knifed.

The infamously redundant Castellón airport was opened yesterday for the first time since it was finished 4 years ago. This was to receive 2 guys who'd dropped in via a chopper for a cup of coffee. Allegedly, a hundred staff had to come in to deal with this. You couldn't make it up.

The founders of a Galician Catholic sect were arrested in Madrid yesterday, having fled our shores when exposed. I've often thought about starting a religion but never more so than after I'd read young female devotees had fallen for the line they could be spiritually cleansed by receiving Jesus's semen via the patriarch.

Talking about Galicia . . . The President has bemoaned the fact that kids who are compelled to learn Gallego in school don't speak it when they go back to their Spanish-speaking homes. And this was a surprise?

My married daughter has returned from Cuba, having had a tremendous time. She was particularly pleased she'd been able to talk to Cubans, in Spanish. Proving the validity of what I told both daughters 15 years ago - With English and Spanish, you can go anywhere in the world. Forget French. She rather surprised me with the comment that the hotel had been full of Canadians - no Americans, of course - and that they'd been rather rude to the staff. Even making allowance for what my younger child ranks as rude', this is still the first negative I recall hearing about Canada or its people.

You can't get away from bloody Russell Brand in the UK media but I was surprised - and saddened - to see a full page on him in yesterday's El País. As if he were a towering new political player, rather than just a media-smart buffoon.

Finally . . . A visiting friend has described my home as "Nutty professor, with style". I'm not sure whether to be insulted or delighted.

No comments: