Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Ponters Pensées: 4.8.16

Spanish Politics: See the link at the end of this post for a contrary view of John Carlin on the Spanish political scene.

Spain and the EU: Click here for an article by fellow blogger, David Jackson. With whom I'm in complete agreement on this:-
http://www.davidjackson.info/blog/2016/07/29/european-integration-is-dead-until-a-new-model-can-be-found/

No, I don't understand why I can sometimes insert a link in the text but sometimes can't. Nor why I can never link to an article in the normal way.

Our Weather: It was 33 degrees here last week and this is what's forecast for tomorrow and the rest of this week. But, as I was saying to my visitors yesterday, we're at the mercy of a capricious ocean here. Hence the Atlantic Blanket of this morning. A good day for visiting at least 1 of our 3 museums.


One of Those Weeks? The score so far: 1 defunct laptop, 2 broken phone chargers and 2 shattered wine glasses. And it's only early Thursday morning. On the other hand, I might have got my Power Pack to work again.

Finally . . . Questionable lyrics: I don't think I've cited these before - to the song "I've got what it takes" by Bessie Smith, which I heard Judith Durham sing. I'm not convinced Bessie was really singing about her bank account.

Oh, stingy Jenny saved up all her pennies, 
Straight to the bank she would go.
The sharks would hound her, hands around her, 
But none could get her dough.

Jenny's fella was a slick high yella; 
Sent away to jail one day.
He cried for bail then turned real pale, 
When he heard Jenny say:

"I've got what it takes
But it breaks my heart to give it away! 
It's in demand, they wants it everyday.
I've been saving it up for a long, long time, 
To give it away would be more than a crime.
Your eyes may roll, your teeth may grit 
But none of my money will you get.

You can look at my bankbook, 
But I'll never let you feel my purse.
'Cause I'm one woman believes in safety first, safety first! 
Say, if you want my money, here's my plan:
I'm saving it up for a real good man! 
I've got what it takes, 
But it breaks my heart to give it away! 

I've got what it takes, 
But it breaks my heart to give it away.
It's in demand, folks crying for it every day.
I've been saving it up for a long, long time, 
To give it away would be more than a crime.
Your eyes may roll, your teeth may grit 
But none of this small change will you get! 

You can look at my bankbook, 
But I'll never let you put your hands on my purse
Lord, I'm one woman believes in safety first, safety first! 
Say, if you want my money, here's my plan:
I'm not saving it up for the next good man! 
I've got what it takes, 
But it breaks my heart to give it away!"

GALLERY

Yesterday,  we had Luis in Wonderland and today it's his loveiy wife Alma in the fish and shellfish market:-




http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/08/02/inenglish/1470127742_287340.ht

No comments: