Thursday, March 22, 2012

Britain's budget briefly; Alarming ads; cacophonous cars; Doubtful decimals; Property purchase; Zooming Zara; and Welcome words.

Britain's budget was presented to Parliament yesterday. No one seems to approve of it, though I guess Brussels (i. e. Germany) does. Or perhaps the British government has been allowed to put it together without scrutiny. An honour not being accorded to Spain this month.

Just following up a point from yesterday . . . Firstly, I see that, when I visit my blog to check the stats, there's nothing but ads for dating agencies there. And, secondly, that the same is true for Facebook. Except for an ad for equity release. I wonder if this is the result of once partially completing a questionnaire for one site (match.com?) before quitting out of boredom. Another site - and another bit of clever ambiguity - is Be Naughty.com ("For dating that lets you cut to the chase"). As if we needed to be told.

For quite a while I've wondered why the calm of Headingley is frequently shattered by blue-light-blazing, siren-screaming ambulances and police cars. I'd formed a couple of tentative theories but today it hit me - The road through the place is straight for about a mile, just after a serpentine stretch. Like the dog and his appendages, these guys do it simply because they can.

I've mentioned over the years that the Spanish have a love for numbers to two or even three decimal places, where one is more than enough. And I've speculated as to whether this is intended to give a specious veneer of accuracy to numbers which are dubious. Whatever, here's a good example of what I mean.

And here's some information that will be useful to anyone thinking of buying property in Spain. I'm citing this even though I know the vast majority of Brits foolishly believe the estate agent when he/she says "You don't need a lawyer. The notary will protect you." You can take a horse to water . .

Good to see that the Galician company Zara posted profits for last year 12% up. And this is before they enter the Chinese market, scheduled for later this year.

"Always be connected with MiFi on Three". Can anyone tell me what this means?

Finally . . . A friend used the term 'fondly' in signing off a message I got today. This is a lovely but under-used word. In Britain at least. But it may have greater currency in the USA.

5 comments:

David said...

The phrase "You can lead a horse to water...." was improved on by a consultant I worked with some years ago who was frustrated when his advice was ignored. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't stop him pissing in it." It goes a bit further than just refusing to drink.

Colin said...

Thanks, David. I laughed out loud.

Ferrolano said...

o Colin,
o I am thinking that you have seen "Always be connected with MiFi on Three" as an advertisement in the UK and my understanding is; “MiFi” is an abbreviation for “My WiFi” and is a device that works as a mobile hotspot, acting like a router, limited to being connected to five devices. Three (or sometimes seen as 3) is a mobile telephone operator in the UK and in fact, they hold the patent on “MiFi” there. (Novotel hold the MiFi patent in the US).
o So with that information, I think that the phrase now makes some sense.

Colin said...

It does indeed. Many thanks, F.

Azra said...

Incidentally, Zara opened its doors for the first time here in Johannesburg late last year and everyone went nuts spending a small fortune on high street stuff.

Search This Blog