Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, February 09, 2012

The resignation of Fabio Capello as the coach of the England football team seems to have been regarded by the BBC as equivalent to the outbreak of war. And today the populist Prime Minister, David Cameron, got in on the act, expressing his concerns about the upcoming European Championships. Anyway, the post is obviously now open again and, at around 6 million quid a year, is quite an attractive proposition. I'll be putting in my application promptly, stressing that my USP is that I'll take (slightly) less than 6 million. Of course, I won't be promising to do better than Capello. Just no worse. Which won't be difficult. His four year reign was dismissed by one sports writer today as “four years of calamity”. For which he walked off with around 24 million quid. What an odd world.

Down at Sainsbury's supermarket, I'd guess the the clientele comprises at least 90% students from Leeds' two universities. Which makes it a tad strange that – ahead of Valentine's Day - Sainsburys should have shelves groaning with champagne and chocolates. But, as I've said before, students these days clearly have far more money than in my day. And cars.

One thing they don't have is college/university scarves. Or perhaps they're considered naff these days.

More seriously . . . Spain's Supreme Court today unanimously convicted judge Baltasar Garzón of illegal wiretapping and then disqualified him for eleven years, effectively ending his judicial career. Two more verdicts to go but they're almost academic now. Talking of which, it'll be interesting to see which university is the first to offer Sr. Garzón a post. I mean, if Aznar can get Georgetown without speaking much English, the world must be his oyster.

No comments: