Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in SpainSpanish Politics
- The leader of the far right Vox party is Santiago Abascal. He used to sport quite a normal short beard. But this has become progressively longer and tailored. And he displays it with his head tilted slightly backwards, so that he really is leading with his chin:-
It puts me in mind of the way Spanish Legionaires strut their stuff. And I don't suppose this is a coincidence:-
- Plating materials with a veneer of gold or silver isn't illegal. But it is when you plate plastic and sell the pieces as solid gold or silver. Which is what the company Tous is in the dock for.
- I've written of unusual names for females here. Yesterday, I came across Covadonga - a town in Asturias and the scene of a hugely important battle against the Moors at the start of the Reconquista.
- The Tous shop in Pontevedra closed down overnight last week . . .
- A handy guide to vocabulary differences between British English and the American sort.
- Words of the Day:-
- Una alhaja: A piece of jewellery, whether plated or not
- Piratear: To pirate; To hack.
- Retribución: Recompense or payment for something. Bit of a surprise.
- Is the bañana really a banana that will never arrive?