Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

It regularly amazes me just how much influence this blog exerts. Less than 24 hours after I criticised the local police for their failure, inter alia, to control speeding drivers, they have announced new measures to do just this. They will be setting up radar checks in sequence, in order to catch the clever bastards who slow down when they see the cop with the gun and then speed up again. I can’t help feeling this might have been more successful if they hadn’t told us in advance about their new strategy.

 

There are very few places to which the Spanish will not take their young children. Tonight I attended one of a series of jazz concerts in town which mark the beginning of our fiesta season. It was supposed to be held in the open but was moved to a small theatre in the old quarter because of a threat of showers. I mention this detail because without this transfer we would not have had the pleasure of several 4 to 6 year olds running up and down the aisles, screaming with boredom. Of course, this being a jazz concert, it was sometimes a little difficult to know whether the wailing was coming from the aisles or the saxophonist on the stage. But it was unsettling nonetheless. I don’t know about you but, if I had to compile a list of adult music forms that might appeal to toddlers, doubt that modern jazz would appear on it. But then I’m not Spanish.


No comments: