Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I’ve begun to collate the various responses from drivers who are forced to brake when I have the temerity to continue beyond the middle of the zebra crossing onto ‘their’ side. These range from an angry stare to a semi-apologetic raise of the hand, taking in various facial contortions and an embarrassed sort of lip pout along the way. On a more serious note, I am a little concerned that, if I maintain this foolhardy policy of insisting on my rights, I am going to end up with at least a couple of broken knees.

Meanwhile, yet another request for directions today. But, given that the couple in question asked me to direct them to the street they were already in, I guess we can be forgiven for concluding that their level of awareness is not of the highest order. Or perhaps it was the fact that I was carrying an umbrella even though the sun was shining that convinced them I was a super-aware local.

I rang Telefonica today to ask them about an item on my bill. Simple enough to deal with, you would have thought, but I still had to find and quote the number of my previous passport before they would give me an answer. As I’ve said before, who on earth would be impersonating me asking about my bill? At the other end of the line, the young lady’s response to this reasonable query was complete silence. As for the look on her face, I’ve no idea.

UK note – According to the BBC tonight, Alan Millburn has returned to government as ‘one of Tony Blair’s closest allies’. Does no one think it at all strange that don’t mean vis-à-vis his enemies in the Opposition but in his own party? And still the forecasts are of another landslide victory next year. Am I missing something?

No comments: