Dawn

Dawn

Friday, January 07, 2005

Much as I love Spanish café society, I do find it hard to cope with the almost inescapable cigarette fumes. Most people here smoke – especially the young females – and very few of them seem to be aware that the habit is obnoxious to people eating and drinking near them. Or perhaps they are and just don’t care. I, for one, will be happy to see the government emulate the Irish and ban smoking in cafés and restaurants. But, then, one wonders just how many Spanish 'individualists' will abide by the rules.

An ETA terrorist responsible for more than 25 murders and sentenced to 3,000 years in jail, is to be released after 18 years. Personally, I find all elements of this incredible.

As I live in a solid middle class area – not that there’s much else in Spain these days – all my neighbours have a maid. If both adults work, then the maid will work full time and will double/triple as a nanny for the kids and as the cook for at least the main, midday meal. And occasionally as a dog walker. I often see my next-door neighbour’s ‘chica’ fulfilling this latter duty when I take my dog, Ryan, into the forest of a morning and afternoon. Her interesting approach is to walk their Old English Sheepdog 50 metres round the corner, sit down in the sun and chat on her mobile phone. Meanwhile, the poor dog circles her as best he can, on the end of a retractable lead. In this he is somewhat hampered by the nearby trees. Naturally, Ryan always smirks smugly at him as we head up the mountain. And, believe me, there is nothing as smug as a Border Collie with almost 11 years’ accumulated wisdom.


No comments: