Dawn

Dawn

Monday, January 17, 2005

Spain’s bureaucracy – and its affection for paperwork – are justifiably legendary. My elder daughter is currently embroiled in the process of getting registered in the social security system and it is driving her to distraction. One major problem is that the previous system for European nationals ended on 31 December, 2004 and interim arrangements are now in force. Needless to say, this creates even more gaps for things to fall through. Some of the most frightening words in English must be these I read last week - ‘A new reciprocal healthcare system is coming into force throughout Europe and Spain has been the first country in the EU to implement it’.

I am fighting my own little skirmish around my attempt to give away my old car [which is not really allowed] but this is nothing compared to my poor daughter’s problem. Especially as I have dumped my challenge on the happy recipient of the car. I just keep signing the documents she brings me.

It all reminds me of a comment in John Hooper’s book on Spain [The New Spaniards], to the effect that the only consolation available when it takes you days to achieve anything is that is used to take weeks.

No comments: