Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, March 12, 2005

I have a cleaner who comes for a couple of hours twice a week. She has two main responsibilities:- 1. vacuuming up my dog’s hairs, and 2. breaking things. Only the first of these is official. The funny thing is – she never tells me when she has, say, knocked the head off another chess piece or dropped the last wine glass. This morning, when throwing a bag of rubbish into the bin, I heard the sound of breaking china as it hit the bottom and immediately realised where my missing coffee mug was. I suppose I should deduct a token amount from her wages. Or at least say something to her. But my residual Britishness gets in the way. Plus her mother is very ill.

And talking of strange characters, my nice but noisy neighbour, Tony, was at my gate this afternoon, with a tie in his hand. He told me they were going to a wedding tonight and asked me to put a Windsor knot in the tie. I guess there’s not much call for these on oil tankers.

When I came here in the winter of 2000, it rained virtually every day from November to May. This year has been so dry that yesterday I was forced to do something that is probably unprecedented in Galicia - I put on a lawn sprinkler in March. I guess we'll be told it’s all down to global warming.

No comments: