Dawn

Dawn

Monday, June 20, 2005

Well, it seem that Fraga may yet cling on to power. Incredibly, it all depends on how the votes were cast amongst the 300,000 or so emigrants in South American entitled to participate in the Galician elections. And we won’t know for another 7 days. But, true to form, Fraga has said that, if he’s not going to be President, he’s still stay on as Leader of the Opposition. Enoch Powell once noted that all political careers end in failure. Clearly, though, Don manuel’s is going to be posthumous.

Statistics printed in yesterday’s El Pais back my thesis that the weakening of the institution of the family in Spain needs no help from homosexual couples bent[!] on achieving marital status. In the last 5 years, separations and divorces have leapt from 46 percent of marriages to 60, with a corresponding increase in the number of people living alone. Or ‘in sin’. So, if you can’t go for the faithful, you might as well go for the faithless, I suppose. After all, windmill tilting was invented here.

Featuring large in the pictures of Saturday’s march in favour of the family were archbishops, priests and nuns. I couldn’t help wondering how exactly their single-status life of celibacy contributes to the furtherance of the family. Other than via my father’s dreadful dictum, ‘Do as I say, not as I do’. An injunction which hasn’t improved with age. Unlike me.

At six tonight, I poured my usual copa of Rioja, connected to the internet and turned on the radio. You’ve guessed it – Bonnie bloody Tyler and Total Eclipse of the Heart.

No comments: