Dawn

Dawn

Monday, October 03, 2005

Today I attended a brief lecture on the origins of one of my favourite buildings in Pontevedra. Almost inevitably, my enjoyment was rather marred by a woman in front of me who – isolated in a cocoon of her own self-importance – took several mobile phone calls and chatted to the man beside her. Interestingly, the audience of about ten was outnumbered by the photographers and cameramen from the local newspapers and TV channels. I guess they’ve never heard of syndication.

Later, passing the town’s main police station, I saw four senior officers get into a car and drive off without a safety belt between them. I was momentarily tempted to mention this to the motor-cycle cop who arrived a few seconds later but thought better of it. Perhaps there’s a provision in the law which allows policemen to go through windscreens, even though we aren’t.

So far at least, October’s weather has been even better than September’s. So confusion is still rife on the fashion front. Some young ladies are still in their summer uniform of very little above the hip bone and jeans below, whereas – at the other extreme - there are those determined to show off their new tweeds and boots. The former seem decidedly more comfortable at this stage.

We have a new Irish bar at the entrance to the shopping centre on our side of the bridge into town. Apart from a couple of tables outside, the main innovation is the parking of the owner’s huge Cherokee Jeep on the pavement, blocking half of the entrance to the centre. To do this, he has to negotiate several bollards designed to, well, stop cars being driven onto the pavement. Quite impressive, in its own way. Except that it’s in our way.

Finally, a few choice sentences from the Dear Beloved in Christ letter from Kenya I mentioned a couple of days ago:-

It is by the grace of God that I received Christ. Having known the truth, I had no choice than to do what is lawful and right in the sight of God for eternal life.

Presently, I'm in a hospital in Kenya where I have been undergoing treatment for oesophageal cancer. I have since lost my ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only a few weeks to live. It is my last wish to see this money distributed to charity organizations anywhere in the World

I want a person that is God fearing that will use this money to fund churches, orphanages and widows. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner.

I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my soundless voice.

No comments: