Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hurrricane Special

Well, Gordon came in like a lamb and went out like a church mouse. The crane is still standing and I am still alive.

I woke at 5.45 to find the trees beginning to stir. Dozing off, I re-woke at 8 to see levels of wind and rain that would be below par for an average winter day here on the Atlantic coast. By 8.15 it was all over. Not that here had been very much of it in the first place. Going downstairs I found my biggest problem was that my dog, Ryan, had – for the first time in his 12 year life – defecated inside the house. Not just once but twice. God knows why but I doubt it was from fear. Plus, of course, we’d had the power cut we get every time the rain gets above drizzle levels.

I tried to take a picture of the crane at midnight without success. So here it is, as of this morning. Labourers are working on the site but the nesh teachers and pupils were all given the day off school. In case they were hit by flying textbooks, I guess.

No comments: