Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The local police fear the finding of a cache of materials just across the border in Portugal suggests a possible resurgence of terrorist activity on the part of the Galician counterpart of ETA. These people go by the catchy title of Exército Guerricheiro do Povo Galego Ceive. Or EGPGC, for short. I hope they don’t take it amiss when I say this is the first I’ve heard of this brave band of class warriors. Or even when I say their objective of independence from Spain must be even further beyond the horizon than ETA’s.

I read today that by 2050 Spain will have the oldest population in Europe. So this must be a harbinger of things to come – In Lugo recently, a 75 year old man knocked down and killed a 90 year old woman. On a zebra crossing, naturally.

Which reminds me – the pass rate for the driving theory test in Pontevedra recently registered an impressive rise from 50 to 70%. This, though, was not because the students got better at it. It stemmed from the removal of ‘the tricky questions’. I imagine these included ‘Where should you not park?’; ‘Should you stop for pedestrians on crossings?’; and ‘In which lane should you go round a roundabout?’

No comments: