Dawn

Dawn

Friday, November 03, 2006

I have to confess I can’t make head nor tail of the Catalan elections. Only two things stick in my mind – 1. The turnout, at around 50%, was historically low, and 2. Three seats were won by the group [Ciutadans] which opposes the imposition of the Catalan language on all residents of the region/’nation’. Apart from that, it’s a fog of parties, presidents and endless acronyms. Is there a reader up there who can shed some light? Have the ‘nationalists’ really taken a pounding? If so, will it make the slightest bit of difference?

I have two old friends visiting at the moment. We’re all of the post-war generation and so don’t really need to be told to save energy by switching off lights and only boiling enough water for the tea or coffee being made. When we discussed shaving, it emerged we all resist the endless attempts to sell us multi-bladed razors and stick to the disposable variety. But I was a bit miffed to find that, whereas I can only get 2 weeks from a one-day razor, one of my friends gets up to two months. His technique is to shower first so as to soften his face hairs. You heard it here first, you eco-warriors.[I first typed ‘eco-worriers’, which may be more apt.]

Galicia Facts

76% of children between 10 and 14 in Pontevedra have a mobile phone.

Taking up Trevor’s brilliant suggestion, I've now set up the Galician branch of Ciutadans. Please send in your applications for positions of power. These will be dispensed in accordance with local norms. If this name means nothing to you, try this . . .
www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_7237.shtml

No comments: