Dawn

Dawn

Monday, November 05, 2007

Spain has a couple of small territories in North Africa, Ceuta and Melilla. The Spanish have no difficulty in distinguishing between these ‘enclaves’ and the ‘anachronistic colony’ of Gibraltar, though the rest of the world possibly finds this a rather tougher task. Anyway, the government of Morocco – which claims both territories – has acted rather negatively to an imminent visit by the Spanish monarchs and has temporarily recalled its ambassador from Madrid. The Spanish press has criticised this gesture even though it’s remarkably slight compared to how Spain used to act over Gibraltar. For what it’s worth, I agree with the view that the people of these places should have the choice on which state they belong to. As with Scotland. And Galicia . . .

The Formula 1 saga surely brought no credit to any of its key participants. So no one can be much surprised to see Alonso departing for another team and Hamilton emigrating to Switzerland ‘to escape the British tabloids.’ Personally, I’m rather more interested in what Carrefour are going to do with the huge model McLaren car they’re promoting in our local hypermarket. This features both drivers on the box and I had wondered whether Carrefour shouldn’t black out the much-hated Hamilton’s photo if they wanted to shift large quantities ahead of Xmas. But, now that Alonso has quit the team, there’s surely a case for obliterating both images.

Incidentally, McLaren are reported to have said they’ll sue Alonso if he doesn’t keep his gob shut about the team. Fat chance. Keeping his opinions to himself is not this young man’s speciality. He is after all . . . Asturian.

Another of those conversations, this time on the phone . . .
Hello. Is that the Secretary of the Philharmonic Society?

No.
Sorry. I must have the wrong number. Is this 986 XXX XXX?
Yes it is.
Oh. I’m confused as it was given on the Xunta’s web page as a number for the society.
I used to be President.
In that case, can you tell me how to become a member?
You have to attend a concert and get a form.
Can you tell me when the next concert is?
No. You’ll have to look in the newspaper.
Thanks.

And a British couple getting ready to drive off the boat at Santander . . .
Her: Who’s driving, you or me?
Him: I don’t mind.
Her: No, you decide. [Slight pause] No, I think I’d rather you navigate. Is that alright with you?
Him: Yes.
Her: Now, have you got the right maps?

It was another gloriously sunny day yesterday and I took myself off to a fiesta in one of the little villages in the hills. As this is called O Campo, or The Field/Countryside, you can imagine where the first set of directions sent me. Luckily, I met a more knowledgeable local policeman before I’d gone too far into the back of beyond. The fiesta turned out to the usual mixture of stalls, though I was rather taken by the wild boar on a spit waiting to be roasted, complete with a banana in its mouth. But most appealing was a little display of local costumes, musical instruments and artefacts. As ever, I was left with a strong conviction it was totally legitimate to spend public funds on promoting Galician culture and language. Though without making the latter compulsive, either de jure or de facto. Others are uncomfortable with this ambivalence but I’ve lived too long to give up on my libertine instincts. Incidentally, I’d be interested to know why rapaz means lad/young person in Gallego and Portuguese. Especially as it means rapacious in Spanish. In this case, at least, it’s Spanish which is closer to the original Latin. You may think this is hardly important but, believe me, when you’re trying to demonstrate the superiority of Portuguese and/or Gallego over ‘Castellano’, it really is.

Relatedly, the Voz de Galicia reports that the state of Gallego amongst young people is better than it’s been for a long time. I’d realised this a few days ago when the son of my Gallego-averse neighbours asked me in the garden Que fas?, instead of Que haces?

Back to less ethereal matters – The council of La Coruña has announced it will ban the weekend botellón from residential areas from January next. This will surely comfort the city’s residents but hardly addresses the key issue of illegal street drinking. Continuing on the theme of juvenile excess, I was surprised to read in yesterday’s El Mundo that Spain now leads Europe in the number of pregnancies among minors. This was 23,000 last year, resulting in 10,000 abortions. I had thought this dubious honour belonged to the UK.

Finally, someone needs to take to task the New York Times for an article which discusses the origins of Christopher Columbus without even hinting at his true place of birth – right here in Poio, across the river from Pontevedra. Ignorant damn Yanquis. Not to be confused with yonquis.

No comments: