Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, February 14, 2008

The pre-election Dutch auction is now in full swing. God only knows what goodies we’ll have been promised by the first week of March. With each passing day the un-costed ante is upped as if there were no tomorrow and no bills to pay. Which has led me to conclude there can’t be a better time to indulge in this nonsense than when the economy is deteriorating. For tax revenue is bound to fall and give you a perfect excuse not to fulfil your vainglorious promises. Assuming anyone was daft enough to believe them in the first place, of course. Personally, I’m wondering when the parties will get round to their policies on, say, education, health and economic reform. Meanwhile, the PP party continues to give ammunition to the governing PSOE party in its campaign to stick a fascista label on it. After announcements on immigration, terrorism and the Spanish language, we’ve now had one on the need to do more about criminals aged 12 upwards. I guess it might work, if there’s a large Daily Mail vote lying dormant in Spain.

On the subject of women taking over from men in Spanish politics, it seems that - despite measures taken by the current government to change things - the ratio of men to women senior candidates in this election is exactly the same as last time round - 3:1.

Which reminds me – Can any Galician reader tell me what the controversy is around the Caravana de Mujeres I keep seeing references to? Nothing to do with the elections, I guess.

What are the odds? First a headline from El Mundo and then one from the Voz de Galicia, on the same day:-
“Tits are important but they upset feminists”.
“Dolly Parton says her breasts are killing her”.

As you can see from this photo, I have a large bougainvillea at the back of my house. Its roots straddle the fence between me and next door, though most of the vegetation grows on my side.

As the picture shows, it has two distinct parts - the bush as the bottom and the branches I’ve trained up the wall to my bedrooms. Or it did have until yesterday, when Nice-but-Noisy Tony next door decided to do away with the entire bush. Which he did - without first discussing things with me - when I was taking my afternoon nap. So, there you are - two Spanish cultural aspects in one throw – the siesta and individualismo. Or the inability to conceive that someone else has a view. Or even some rights. We discussed it this morning and, as I expected, my neighbour was astonished I was not well pleased and assured me it was all for the best. Even if I’ve been left with a view of the ugly toilet-style new houses across the road. There is, of course, little I can do apart from clearing up the insult-to-injury debris on my side of the fence. But my neighbour shall henceforth be known here merely as Noisy Tony.

Galicia Facts

Per capita GDP has risen here over the last 3 years and now stands at 84% of the EU average. This puts the region in the same box as Cornwall in England, West Wales and the Highlands of Scotland. But with better weather. Of course, if this increased wealth is concentrated in our more notorious industries, not all of us will be feeling a significant improvement.

Down in Pontevedra, the excellent news is that two derelict, eyesore cafés in prime locations in the city are finally being refurbished by new owners. As I’ve reported before, these have been empty for years because of family feuds that are all too common is land-obsessed Galicia, where properties tend to be sub-divided on each succeeding inheritance.

The other good news is that initial membership of the Anglo Galician Association has soared. This is open to anyone who speaks English and who has any connection at all with Galicia. It would welcome people who can give talks on Galician culture. And classes in Gallego. So where are all you Nationalists? Or even mere Galeguistas? Come on - write to angalass@gmail.com

No comments: