Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I mentioned the other day that I’d seen various motoring incidents within a few minute/hours of re-entering Spain. But no one was around to witness me driving 30 metres up the wrong side of the road yesterday, on British auto-pilot. So it never happened.

At last some good news on prostitution in Spain. The police have broken up a Romanian gang responsible for bringing more than 400 Russian women into the country. But I suspect they could do a lot more, if they really wanted to.

The chances of Spain having a female President within the next decade took a turn upwards this week, when the president of the Madrid Autonomous Community, Esperanza Aguirre, called for the PP to stop being the nasty party and more-or-less declared herself a future candidate for its [re-oriented] leadership. This will not go down too well South of Watford.

From an article on the growth of wind power in Spain - Hardly anybody lives in these cool Celtic highlands, the only region of Spain never conquered by the Moors. I suspect many Gallegos would immediately recognise this as a description of their region/nation. Except it isn’t; it’s a reference to next-door Asturias.

Yet more gloomy predictions about the Spanish economy have come from the banking sector but they’re too boring to repeat. But here’s a relevant post from Graeme over at said South of Watford. That’s two citations he owes me.

Galicia Facts

I’m not sure where the local authorities are in their thinking about dealing with the Thursday-Saturday binge drinking in our streets [el botellón] but I can say that long-held fears about it generating violence seem to have been vindicated. The Pontevedra police confirmed at least four incidents in the city last weekend. Perhaps the politicians will now move on from talking to acting.

Finally – A printer update. Believe it or not, some readers have actually asked for this.

Epson Spain: No further response. Obviously couldn't care less.

Carrefour France: They’ve replied to my second message with a recommendation that I take up the matter with Carrefour Spain as ‘The advantage for you is they have all the information about the Carrefour group’. Which is about as useful as a grass skirt in a hurricane. They go on to suggest I prepare myself for the summer holidays and check out their offers for mobile homes in different parts of France. Which is even less useful. Finally they thank me for using their site, assure me they remain at my disposal, and wish me ‘une agréable journée’. You couldn’t make it up.

So, no more shopping at Carrefour. And no more Epson products. I’m off to the Canon shop in town to buy a simple laser printer. At least I’ll be able to deal direct if this goes wrong. And if and when I get the Epson product back, I will use it as a copier and a scanner. Which should save me a king’s ransom in ink.

No comments: