Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, July 17, 2008

2nd post of the day . . .

Well, it's coming up for 6pm and I don't have the computer promised for hours ago. Which is hardly a surprise, especially today. Since I wrote of the earlier problems, I've managed to cause an electricity blackout in the office of the friend whose computer I was using to send an urgent message. And my mobile appears to be malfunctioning. I seem to have become some sort of electrical jinx. It will be a surprise if you get this . . .

So, I'll leave the post I was planning for today and give you this 'side' conversation with the cashier in the tax office this morning, as I was handing over a huge chunk of money in cash:-
By the way, you should advise your colleague at the Revision desk that she is wrong to think that Citibank has an arrangement with the Xunta. It doesn't and I couldn't make a transfer. Hence this cash.
I will but they are civil servants and not really on the ball. We don't work as a team. In fact, they tend to ignore me.
Why?
Well, I'm not a civil servant. I'm an employee of the Caixa Galicia bank. And Gallegos are very close and difficult. Not easy to get on with. I don't fit in here.
But aren't you Gallego?
Yes but I have Castilian blood. My mother was from Castile.
Galician friends tell me that, when Galicians are odd, they are very, very odd.
Yes, that's very true. And on top of that, Spain has many countries. All very different.
So, a 'nation of nations'?
Yes, exactly. We here in Galicia are completely different from anyone else. Even our nieghbours in next door Asturias. Talking of neighbours, I feel sorry for the Portuguese. An unfortunate country which turned its back on the peninsula and tries to be English. But isn't. And has never wanted to be Spanish, which was a big mistake. They've had a low growth for years now.
Yes, I thought of living there but found them even more reserved than the English. Dull, in fact. Though they are lovely people.
A great pleasure talking to you.
Likewise.

No comments: