Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Notwithstanding El País’s claim that the Spanish government is finally facing up to reality, the Finance Ministress is still claiming that there’s nothing specific about our bust and that we will come out of the recession at the same time and speed as everyone else. So optimism has not entirely departed the scene.

This site provides the answer to the question I raised the other day – which clearly foxed readers – about what the speed limit would be between an End of 60 sign and a 70 sign a hundred metres later. It’d be 90. Briefly.

While investigating this, I also read it’s compulsory here to use your right indicator when you’ve overtaken someone and are returning to the inside lane on a motorway. I’ve seen this frequently here and often wondered about it, as I can’t recall it happening anywhere else in the world. Especially when the road is empty. More to the point, the traffic police are – needless to say – now fining drivers who don’t do it. So, yet another thing to bear in mind when on the road. And I used to say that driving here was still the pleasure it was in the UK 30 or 40 years ago!

The central government has said it will put in writing its latest promises for the commissioning of the AVE high-speed train here in Galicia. Which is nice, though I doubt anyone will place any more reliance on these than on the verbal commitments of the last 20 years. Meanwhile, I’ve read that 80% of the bit connecting Galicia with the central meseta will go through tunnels. Since this would mean about 30km underground, this could well be more than the length of the Channel tunnel. I wonder if I’ll live to experience it.

Meanwhile, the bus-stop-in-progress edges towards completion. A yellow chevron has now been painted in front of it and the word BUS painted over this, in very large letters. Twice. As if this will make any difference at all. The only real question is, will the police fine those who ignore the chevron? Or will I have to make a citizens’ arrest or two?

Meanwhile, some good news at last! When I opened one of the two boxes of wine I (over)bid for on Saturday, I discovered there were not six but 12 bottles in it. I take this as a sign from a higher authority that I should do what I contemplated yesterday and double my alcohol intake - in search of a rich combination of generosity and creativity.

Plus I’ve realised that the new office for collecting traffic fines is at least 200 metres closer to my house than the old one. Which should come in handy, when I get my fourth fine shortly.

Finally . . . I leave you with the report that a Spanish guy was arrested this week for trying to blackmail 250 women he’d persuaded to pose sexily for him on the internet. Two hundred and fifty! Can it really be that easy? Or did he just tap into a cyber version of Spain’s infamous club scene?

No comments: