Dawn

Dawn

Friday, July 03, 2009

The Irish band, U2, has been fined for making too much noise during their rehearsals in Madrid. This has to take the biscuit – foreigners being punished for being too noisy in Spain. I can die in peace now.

The oposiciones are the exams which legions of young Spanish hopefuls take to try and get one of the highly valued government jobs. From what I’ve seen, they’re as tough as they’re reputed to be. But they’re invigilated locally, not in Madrid. Which, I guess, is why one can read in the Galician section of El País . . . “The list of the successful aspirants is monopolised by the children and relatives of local mayors, of the head of the Ourense administration, of well-known lawyers and of judges,”

Another Spanish institution is the bridge, or el puente – the Friday or Monday which is added to the weekend if there’s a public holiday on Thursday or Tuesday. In a country dedicated to fun, these are important. So I gauge that the tone of this headline today was one of deep regret and disappointment – “The work and holidays timetable for 2010 will only permit two bridges.” Times are certainly tough.

I wrote recently about the expense being incurred at the far end of our community on new paving stones, while the wooden boards at our end are being left to rot. I speculated that the president of the community lived in that part of the development. And so it turns out to be. But, as of next year, my neighbour next-door-but one, Manolo, will assume this position. So I button-holed him today on the subject of getting the boards treated in his current capacity as vice-president. Pointing up my naivety, he said “No. We’ll wait until next year. And then I’ll have expensive metal walkways installed.”

Actually, this option was discussed at a three-hour community meeting I attended – without much Spanish – in November, 2000. The only decision arising from this was that we'd meet again within 20 days, to have another go at agreeing what to do. As it happens, the next meeting was some five years later. By which time, work had begun on installing the untreated wooden boards.

Finally, and self-interestedly . . . I read this week that Galicia is towards the bottom of the Spanish list as regards the provision of casas rurales, or rural getaways. Which is a tad ironic, given the magnificence of its countryside. And I’ve heard it said there’s also a shortage of eco- and gay-friendly places in Spain. To which all I can say is – If you’re looking for somewhere which fits one or all of these bills, click here. And then write to me on colindavies@terra.es if you want more info.

No comments: