Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It seems that President Sarkozy has changed his mind once again and that Tony Blair’s defunct campaign to be Head Honcho in Europe is back on track. At the same time, that of Mr Miliband to be High Representative of The Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy has gone in the opposite direction. But at least he can now keep his business card the normal size.

The big news today is that Google's Street View now covers almost 80% of Spain and offers a virtual tour of many of her most magnificent monuments. Including Granada’s Alhambra, Córdoba’s grand mosque, Toledo’s cathedral, Segovia’s Roman aqueduct, and Bilbao’s Guggenheim museum. Of even greater interest in these parts is the news that you can also take a virtual walk along the Camino de Santiago, though I don’t as yet know how many of the various routes are available.

I had to smile at a (whimsical?) letter in one of our local papers today. It asked how the Galician Xunta would react to the people of the Mondoñedo area insisting on using the Breton dialect that (allegedly) only died out there in the 15th century. In place of not just Spanish but also Gallego, of course. It reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago about the restoration of Danelaw in the UK. It also reminded me that, once you start discussing the relative merits of languages, there is absolutely no limit to the arguments that can be put forward from either side.

When you read something like this, you do wonder whether there’s something to the Catalan and Basque complaints that the hard-earned money they supply to the central coffers is being badly spent down south . . .

I am a big fan of pedestrianisation in Spain’s cities. Or any cities, for that matter. And I said as much to my daughter’s partner as we walked down the newly done Calle Fuencarral in Madrid at the weekend. “Yes”, he said. “It’s great. But the problem is it immediately leads to an increase in prostitutes on the street.” Which rather endorses my view no one has the will to do anything about this shameful stain on Spanish culture.

Finally . . . I found the reference to the survey of the favourite destinations for would-be emigrants. It seems my memory was pretty accurate. As I implied last week, it takes some believing that the UK ranks higher than Spain. But, as we say oop North, there’s nowt as queer as folk.

8 comments:

Midnight Golfer said...

I'm a little surprised Street View was legal in Spain, with the hassle I've been given on occasion, when getting my camera out in public..

Midnight Golfer said...

Also, it just occurred to me the number of people in that survey who were likely U.S. and Canadians who know they want to go somewhere better, as long as it's not the other, (and they don't want to learn another language.)

Midnight Golfer said...

and by better, I mean different.

Ferrolano said...

Colin,

The way to impede the “alternate business” springing up in Calle Fuencarra is to employ the Junta de Extremadura to run “The pleasure is in your hands” campaign – people then wouldn’t need the girls, as they would be replaced by a bunch of wankers!!

cade said...

Mr Davies, between us, now that nobody can hear us; why aren't you talking about the Somalian piracy issue? You won't be incommoded by my strong views, I mean, in your official blog, and quite probably your readership will second your opinion. It would serve though as another proof for your double ethical standards, once I comment on your views. I'll keep checking, in case you decide to write about it. We are dealing with Galician lives, chaps from near Pontevedra! No sympathy for your neighbours?

Respect to the wanking issue, what a waste of public spending! Regardless of who contributes more to the public "coffers". That amount pales though in comparison with the allocated to the catholic "voluntary aided" (concertados) schools. Now, in CCAA like Galiza, where the PP reigns, this catholic schools are getting more public aid as previously. Yes, I am talking about the schools that teach you (taught me) that masturbation is not only an evil act, but it also hurts your health (apathy, blindness), and your espiritual well being.

No talking about that in mr davies official blog. Well, we'll have to expose that in your unofficial one.

By the way, mr davies, try not to mention me in your next post, I know that you feel compelled to do it, but make an effort. Don't do it. Since I have no voice here, beyond yourself, what's the need for mentioning me? Ok?

Check this friendly advise, in case you haven't checked it yet:

http://mrdaviesdrivel.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-not-to-blog.html

cade said...

Hey!

What happen to the moderation thing?

Turn it on, you wanker!

Xoán-Wahn said...

I'm not sure how I feel about Tony Blair as president of the EU. The part of me that loves a good joke is all for it but I'm not sure it makes any sense for someone from a eurosceptic country to lead the EU. On he contrary, I'm very sure I don't want two Brits taking the two top jobs. Or two Frenchmen, or two Spaniards, etc. I don't even think it should be someone from one of the big EU countries. We're already living in a Europe that tailors itself to fit the desires of France, Germany and the UK, especially when it comes to financial policy.

Victor said...

Class, pure class..............

Search This Blog