Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No British politics tonight. Other than to say that it seems the Labour-LibDem negotiations were truly Ballsed up. If you want more, scroll down to my earlier post of this morning.

In Spain, the populace is regularly asked to rate the country’s politicians out of 10. To two decimal points, would you believe. Hardly anyone ever gets above 5.0, so this is a good score. The quality of Sr Rajoy’s performance as Leader of the Opposition is reflected by the fact that above him rank not just President Zapatero but also sixteen of the government’s ministers. So, no great surprise that, despite the economic situation and the ordure regularly heaped on Sr Zapatero, the Opposition’s lead over the government has slumped to a mere 1.5%. Time to fall on one’s sword, I suspect. To give someone else a chance before the next general elections in 2012. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

A short while ago, I joined two book clubs in the town library – the Castellano and the English. After missing two sessions of the former while I was in the UK, I got an email this week telling me that, if I missed another, I’d be out on my ear. Which I thought was rather efficient. In contrast, earlier today I found it difficult to find anyone who knew anything about tonight’s meeting of the English club. “Why don’t you come by around 7, to see if it’s on”. So, I did. And, happily, it was. The first ten minutes was in Gallego but we did switch to English after that. Largely, it has to be said, because we were reading out loud from an English book. I resisted the temptation to read my bit in a Scouse accent.

Despite not looking remotely Spanish, I regularly get asked for directions. No more so than near my house, usually by folk looking for the Granite Carvers’ School. But I was a bit taken aback this evening to get this enquiry from a local police patrol. Anyway, I won’t be telling my Spanish friends about this, as it will only confirm their belief that the local police force is formed from failed candidates for the position of Town Idiot.

Finally . . . As regular readers will know, I’m used to a lot of noise from next door – where Toni lives and bawls – even at 7 in the morning. But today it was the usually silent Mrs T. With an altogether more erotic symphony. What I have to put up with!

No comments: