Dawn

Dawn

Friday, July 02, 2010

Now that a city in Cataluña has announced they’ll be fining people who wear bikinis on the street – mostly women, I imagine – it seems we’ve reached the point in that region/nation where you can commit a criminal offence either by wearing too much clothing (burkhas) or too little clothing (swimwear). A strange and confused place, it seems. All power corrupts, as they say.

My friend, Jon, and I were wondering the other day why so many Spanish drivers don’t have their lights on long after it’s gone dark. Though maybe this is one of those times when, as a reader suggested, I should say Galician – or even just Pontevedran – rather than Spanish. Anyway, what is the reason? Rule defiance? Distracting chatting? Thoughtlessness? Or just plain stupidity that’s never penalised by the police?

The other thing I’m wondering right now is why the young girl at the table between me and the TV screen in this bar (Ghana v. Uruguay) has just got up from her chair, draped herself across her boyfriend’s lap and started kissing him passionately. Does she think she’s invisible? Or is she just hopelessly in love? I imagine the latter and that time will solve the problem for her. If not for me.

Finally . . . In view of all the trouble being caused by flailing arms and elbows in this World Cup, why don’t they introduce a rule under which all players must have their arms strapped to their sides? I imagine this would significantly reduce the shirt-pulling and bear-hugging that are such a feature of Italian defences but would this really be a problem for the rest of the world?

Meanwhile . . . Vaya la roja! Even if Nadal did slaughter Murray today.

No comments: