Tuesday, December 21, 2010

There’s a couple who frequent the same café-bar as me every day and have done so for several years. We’ve never greeted each other during this entire period. Or not, as least, until yesterday, when the lady took me  by surprise by smiling at me. I, of course, reciprocated. The same thing happened today, so I guess the ice has been well and truly broken. I swear that the Gallegos are worse than the English at times.

One of the questions that’s hovered in the Spanish atmosphere for years is how solid is the acquisitive and apparently very successful Banco Santander. I have no idea but was interested to read this article (Anglo, of course) which suggests that, for macro reasons, a careful eye needs to be kept on the institution. “Banks which build themselves up to be the biggest and most diversified have always come unstuck in the end — Bank of America in the late 1980s, Citigroup and RBS in the recent crisis — partly because the challenge of risk control across such a vast portfolio of businesses becomes impossible, and partly because they become complacent believers in their own propaganda.”  We will see, I guess. Possibly after Sr Botín (now 75) finally retires.

For a number of reasons, I’ve been affected by a touch of melancholia over the past few days but nothing cheers one up more than one’s team beating a big-spending aspirant for the Premiership crown, at its home ground. As Everton did to Manchester City last night. Preventing them, it seems, going to the top of the league for more than eighty years. There must have been some disappointed Mancunians trudging home in the snow last night. But joy uncontrained in Liverpool. Or part of it anyway.

21 comments:

Nieves said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Colin! Hugs,

CafeMark said...

Yes, enjoy the festive season, and best wishes for the New Year.

Eugenia said...

Happy new year Colin - we're missing you!

Eugenia said...

Happy new year Colin - we're missing you!

ANA said...

Greetings, Hope you haven't run out of things to say!

Jimbob said...

No blog from Colin for some time now, hope you are ticketyboo

Rudy Vinyl said...

Happy new year Colin! Hope you are well, miss you lots!

Mike the Traditionalist said...

With the smoking ban going full belt I would assume Colin is doing the rounds of every bar in Pontevedra just to see what they are like as he couldn't see them properly before through all the smoke.

Diego said...

I´m getting worried, is he OK, where is he?

hombrederaxo said...

I have had confirmation that Colin is fine. I'm sure he'll be back soon.

Diego said...

Good.

Magnolia said...

My wifi bar of choice (Pontevedra Province), is a delight without the smoke. I´m sure Colin´s going to love it when he gets back.

M

Jimbob said...

Its been over a month now, and still no blog. Hombrederaxo says he is ok. Perhaps he has gone down with depression. In his last posting he says he has been feeling a little melancholy.

Dawn Hawkins said...

I Just want to echo everyone else, and say hope you are well Colin you are missed

ANA said...

Yes, where are you sir?! I only know you through your blog which I do enjoy reading. It does seem like a long time not to hear anything though. Hope all is well.

Alberto said...

I still want to believe Colin is well...

Rudy Vinyl said...

Colín .For what is worth,  with out your blog I'm falling back to cookoo Land!  wishing and hopeing  all is well? With You

kalebeul said...

الكلاب مرحبا المسيحية. نحن أسر كولن الكفيري في هذا الصباح مع مظلة وزجاجة من النبيذ في بيت للدعارة في مدينة سرت. ترسل لنا المال ونحن سوف تطعمه.

Lenox said...

Hah! Just what I thought.

Tumbit.com said...

Interesting read. 45 lenders reduced to 17, and probobaly more mergers on the horizon. It will be interesting to see how Santander as a corporation stand in 5 years time.

Bill said...

ما رسالة مزعجة جدا في اللغة العربية
(What a very unpleasant message in Arabic)

Like others here I do hope that Colin is well ...

Search This Blog