Tuesday, December 06, 2011

My Ferrolian friend, Richard, has kindly sent me this link to a short film about Galician fishermen harvesting percebes - or gooseneck barnacles - just outside the coastal town of Cedeira, half an hour north of Ferrol.

Richard and I politely disagree on the gastronomic qualities of these (indisputably ugly) things but I have no difficulty in agreeing with his suggestion that the activity is "probably more dangerous than catching fish in a force nine storm."

But it doesn't make them taste any better.

4 comments:

Ferrolano said...

And I will agree with you that they are ugly, but the taste, wonderful…….. sorry Colin..

Victor B. said...

More dramatic footage in this video from BBC's Human Planet (min. 2.25 - 6.25)
http://youtu.be/Mugl3av42Bk
Not sure if they would have gone down there under such conditions if there wasn't a BBC camera around.

Anthea said...

I find myself wondering what all the fuss is about. OK, they don't taste bad. I like just about all mariscos. But are they really so good that people need to risk their lives to get them? I don't think so!

Candide said...

Anthea, people seem to risk their lives to cash in on them. The question is if they get enough money for it. That's their call.

Search This Blog