Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I attended a wedding ceremony and dinner yesterday evening. During the meal, the noise from the conversation of 40 people was so loud I could only catch maybe one word in five from the people opposite me and from my neighbours. And then the music started! I'm trying hard not to exaggerate here but it was so loud there must have been serious risk to everyone's hearing. Especially of those on the dance floor right below the speakers. Not to mention the DJ, who was listening through headphones. Or perhaps this was a defence because he at least could turn the volume down. Nearing midday today, I still had whistling – tinnitus? - in both ears. Anyway, I can vouch for the fact that, if you haven't heard bagpipes broadcast at 120db, you ain't heard anything. I tried to shove a couple of champagne (well, cava) corks in my ears but, if you're familiar with the shape of these, you'll appreciate why I wasn't too successful.

As ever, I was impressed by the Spanish capacity for fun, especially among the middle-aged women throwing themselves around the dance floor – sometimes with male partners – with all the gay abandon (as we used to say) of teenagers and twenty-somethings. I might have joined in but for the blasted, blasting speakers.

By the way, there was a seating plan for the dinner, displayed on a card on each table. In true Spanish non-conformist manner, this was comprehensively ignored, though there might have been more success if they'd used name cards. But I rather doubt it.

So, who can you mock on the BBC these days? Well, I'm pretty sure all these are fair game:- The royals; the politicians; the judges; the politicians; members of the Flat Earth Society; scientists; atheists; and deists. And probably many more. But not Christians, it would seem, in the light of the 3,000 complaints to the BBC about this relatively innocuous spoof by Rowan Atkinson. Thinking about it, you probably can't mock Muslims either. Or Jews. I wonder why people who believe in what others regard as mere superstition are so touchy. What harm can disbelief do to belief, whether it's respectful or disrespectful?

The Euro: One more negative:-
  • It has transferred billions of taxpayer euros to the pockets of bankers and the vaults of immoral and/or incompetent banks.
Someone at least is willing to stick her neck out and predict where the EU will be in 5 years time. A strong supporter of the EU, the author insists that: “Whether national politicians admit it or not, a closer union is on the agenda”. The only alternative, she believes, is chaos, disintegration and populism”. Unlike anything we've had for the past 5 years.

Finally . . . D'you remember the Spanish woman who decided to restore the fresco of Jesus on her church wall and in the process turned him into an orang utang? Well, I think I've happened upon her inspiration:-



No comments: