Dawn

Dawn

Friday, August 28, 2015

Angry Bulls; Angry tomatoes; Spanish queues; Product uses; Poor Old/Black Joe again; & A naughty picture?

Letting angry bulls loose to run through your village's streets is not the only daft 'fiesta' celebrated in Spain. Down in the town of Buñol, they have for 70 years now dedicated one day of the year to throwing tons of tomatoes at each other. This year Google tried to film the event from one of its cars and had it vandalised for their sins. Click here, here and here for more on this. If you can bear it.

Talking of the bulls . . . It's reported that 245,000 people from Santiago de Compostela have signed a petition against bullfights. Ironically, Santiago doesn't have any.

Queueing in Spain? Yes, it happens. But it can take odd forms. Here's an article on one of these. Which I've never seen, by the way. Nor my Madrid-based daughter.

Are there technicians' products which you find useful for non-technical challenges? For example:
  • Electricians' white insulating tape: For dealing with the problem of fraying Apple cables - a quality which seems to be built into them.
  • Black electrician's tape: For covering up scratches on my (black) car.
  • Wood glue: For fixing splits in the straw(?) of my panama hat. This goes on white but turns transparent. But may not survive a rain shower.
  • Two-sided adhesive tape: ??????? Didn't work with the Apple cables. Got very dirty and came off easily.
Filling the washing machine last night, I found myself singing the old spiritual Poor Black Joe, as it was called when I learnt it at primary school. I loved the song 'back in the day' but I don't recall shedding a tear then. Perhaps because I wasn't so much closer to crossing over. Anyway, here are the Paul Robeson and Jerry Lee Lewis versions of Poor/Old Black Joe. The plus of the latter is that it makes me tap my feet, as opposed to wiping away the tear drops.

Finally . . . Here's a painting which my elder daughter, Faye, thinks could be of her. In fact, it was done in the early 20th century by the Galician hero, Castelao, whom I mentioned not long ago. In the UK these days he'd probably be arrested if he ever put it on display. Or even if his cleaner saw it in the attic. Or on his computer.


No comments: