Replacing London: Here's Don Quijones on this challenge for the EU: In true beggar-thy-neighbor fashion, many of Europe’s most prominent capitals are bending over backwards to provide global banks with the perfect enticements to lure them away from The City. As the New York Times puts it, “The race is on to be the new London.” If the City of London does fall from grace, the biggest beneficiary is likely to be Frankfurt. Click here for the full article.
Talking of Brit cities . . .
- Birmingham, Alabama, United States
- Cologne, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland
- Shanghai, China
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Medan, Indonesia
- Penang, Malaysia
- Givenchy-lès-la-Bassée, France
- Halifax, Canada
- Havana, Cuba
- La Plata, Argentina
- Memphis, US
- Minamitane, Japan
- Naples, Italy
- New Orleans, US [Good news, Rick]
- Odessa, Ukraine
- Ponsacco, Italy
- Râmnicu Vâlcea, Romania
- Valparaíso, Chile
Pokemon Go: If, like me, you've no idea WTF this is, here's Wiki on the phenomenon. It seems to have not just millions but billions to the share value of Nintendo. Easy money?
Finally . . . More laughter:-
- A new civil war in Europe?: Here's a conspiracy nutter called Alex Jones on Info Wars reflecting on developments in Turkey. We're still waiting for his predicted second civil war in the USA, by the way.
- VP candidate Newt Gingrich: A couple of Stateside views: 1. He shares some things with Donald Trump, including an unflagging and perhaps inflated sense of his own intellect, a propensity to say outlandish things, and three marriages. 2. Both men will do anything to pander to the Religious Right. The difference is Gingrich actually seems to believe his own bullshit.
- The Bible and breast implants. Sorry, theist readers, assuming there are any left.
Great wine news from Galicia, on the best Ribeiro white wine:-