Monday, August 08, 2016

Ponters Pensées: 8.8.16

Spanish Politics: No one knows how many days Sr Rajoy has left as President (or even acting President). His successor is universally(?) expected to be Soraya Saénz de Santa Maria, a youngish lawyer who's been in politics all her life and so has never had a proper job, as Nigel Farage would say. Though, unlike Sr Rajoy, she might be able to speak English. Being short, her nickname is naturally The Poisoned Dwarf and there's a major question I have about her. In anticipation of the next stage in the Spanish imbroglio, has she had at least a massive makeover or possibly even plastic surgery? For she suddenly seems far more glamorous than she was a few months ago. Does anyone know?

What's in a Name?: A Spanish couple has finally been given the OK to call their son Lobo, or Wolf. I know 2 families called Woolf/Wolfe. I would quite fancy being called Wolf Woolf/Wolfe. But that's just me. And having a wolf dog from East Europe. One that eats pugs and miniature versions of any breed. Especially dogs smaller than bloody cats. Pontevedra overflows with them.

Properties in Galicia: Sales are 27% up on last year, but mainly of 'second hand' properties, as there are very few new ones to buy. Despite the growing confidence in the property sector, the construction industry remains flat.

Around Pontevedra:

Las Peñas 2: It turns out that the city's hoteliers are none too happy about having their thresholds pissed and puked on by kids when there's no bullfight on. They say it was wrong of the council to give them a dispensation for their Saturday nigh debauchery. And they're probably right. BTW . . . After recent high growth, the hotel business now accounts for 22% of Galicia's GDP. Involving far too many foreigners, it has to be said. To clarify, I don't mean tourists from other Spanish regions, all of whom are regarded as 'foreigners' by the Galicians. These are all very welcome. In reasonable numbers.

Las Peñas 3: Here's the now-pristine main meeting point for the throngs early as of Sunday morning, ready for a repeat performance last night:-



Seagulls 2: With apologies for the quality - the camera's fault! - here's another of our seagulls - or perhaps the same one - attempting to eat a fish and very possibly confused by the challenge:-



And here's one in its natural habitat:




Las peñas 3: Some of my friend's in the city's most of these, GinKas, preparing to enter the plaza:-



I suspect many of them won't recall where exactly they spent the rest of the evening and night. Though the lanyard has attached to it an horario of which bar they're expected to be in at specific times. I've always found it hilarious that well-oiled Spaniards - or even sober ones - could suggest they'd stick to such a plan.. And I've never bothered to try to meet up with them at the designated time, except for the first place on the list . . . .

Sadly, the nice video I have of them singing is too big to post here.

Finally . . . An Apology: My washing machine didn't chew up my friend's sock after all. It had hidden itself in the sleeve of one of my shirts. But this doesn't explain the mystery of my 12 lost sox. I've checked all my sleeves.

5 comments:

Sierra said...

The following wont help the property market - demolitions in Tenerife and Cantabria:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/07/britons-fear-home-demolitions-in-spain-after-bulldozers-move-on/

Perry said...

Soraya is the same in Urdu & Arabic Farsi, perhaps?. It means beautiful. A decent hair stylist can do wonders.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Soraya+S%C3%A1enz+de+Santamar%C3%ADa&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB547GB547&espv=2&biw=997&bih=482&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFz4Tik7LOAhUBORQKHcB-BRIQ_AUIBygC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soraya_S%C3%A1enz_de_Santamar%C3%ADa#/media/File:Sorayasaezsantamaria.jpg

For socks, see duvet cover or pillow cases.

Perry said...

AAArrrggghhh. The Moving- Finger writes and having- writ, Moves on; nor all your piety nor wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a line, Nor all your tears blot out a word of it.


Urdu, Arabic & Farsi, perhaps?

Bill said...

How amusing: your continuing assertion that socks go "missing" during washing certainly does not gel with my experience over 40+ years in many countries, whether I've been using the washing machine myself or whether my houseboys, maids or other servants have been responsible for this mundane task. Indeed in one country my amah used to darn (expertly) my socks which had developed holes, long after I had grown tired of having to wear them to show "gratitude" for her efforts, so much so I had to "invent" losses just to get rid of them ;). It reminds me of the myths about ballpoint pens "going missing" over the years - admittedly our consumption of this commodity in various offices I managed was prodigious, but I expect like my own home office desk now in my home here or my holiday home in Spain, this is easily-explained by the plethora of little used and now dried-up specimens which lurk in the drawers. Perhaps a few (socks or pens) were "stolen" or even beamed up by aliens, although I doubt it, but who cares ...

Bill said...

PS/ In one country (let's not be coy, it was Vietnam) my driver used to buy various things on my behalf to take back to the house for use by my cook or maid; they would tell him what to buy, I would supply the money, he would buy it all and eventually the house manager would write it all up in my household accounts books and I would be shown it by the driver to check every week or so. This continued for months and frankly the amounts were relatively minor so I did not scrutinise it too closely, beyond checking it was reasonably consistent month-to-month. However, one day the driver (who was a clever and well-educated young man who would certainly never have been "just" a driver if the communist takeover of South Vietnam had not consigned him to field labour for several years, because of his bourgeois upbringing) asked me when showing me the accounts book why I, or at least my household, seemed to be using about 5 litres of fabric softener, not to mention several boxes of laundry detergent, each week. He had begun to wonder if this was entirely normal. The cash amounts were relatively minor so I had not noticed, but discreet inquiries revealed that my housemaid had a mother and sisters who earned "pin money" doing laundry in a very labour-intensive way for quite a lot of people and it seemed I was supplying the detergent and fabric softener for their enterprise. Knowing how poor, but enterprising and hard-working, they all were, I did not cut off the free supply completely, even though it was basically theft, but I did ask my driver to suggest to them they did not abuse my laxity, so they duly reduced their "consumption" billed to me by quite a bit. Obviously this was all on my own account; I was very intolerant of a few similar "try ons" through the company expenses of the office I managed there, even though I always tried to blend being strict with being humane, provided it was kept within reasonable limits. But there isn't some repository in the sky where all your missing socks lurk, I suspect ;)

Search This Blog