Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Thoughts from Galicia: 22.8.17

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.

Life in Spain:-
  • This is an informative article on the Islamist terrorists in Spain.
  • It was to be expected - but is still sad - that Cataluña's most fervent nationalists would make political capital out of the recent tragedy in Barcelona. The president there is reported to have gone so far as to distinguish, between 'Catalan' and 'Spanish' victims. But the cretin won't last long after the failed October referendum deprives him of any reason to stay in power.
Up in the north of Galicia, the town of Mondoñedo has decided to make itself a tourist target. I wish them luck but wonder if they'll be doing anything in respect of the nearby 6th century settlement of 'British' monks. In a place called - for obvious reasons - Bretoña (Eng. Britonia). When I went up to look for it a few years ago there was zilch trace of it. 

Last week's police action against owners of the boats taking folk to the Atlantic Islands appears to have had no effect. Which is why, I guess, the police on Sunday prevented 4 from unloading when they arrived and stopped another 4 from leaving Vigo. More than 2,000 ticket-payers were left without their planned trip. And unamused.

Since at least 2007, Galicia's exports have gone primarily to France, Portugal and Italy. The USA was 4th in 2007 but is now 10th , replaced by the UK, up from 6th. Germany, too, is up – from 7th to 5th. As is the Netherlands, from 8th to 6th. Belgium, Morocco and Mexico make up the top 10. The last-mentioned for the first time. Which is the stimulus behind the press report. A new market!

A Galician shellfish new to me - the peneira. Also known as La oreja del mar, the sea-ear. I wonder if it tastes better than the dreadful percebe.

I've confessed regularly to my confusion about Pontevedra's retail trade and wondered how much of it is related to the need for money-laundering outlets for local drug-smuggling activities. I mention this again because the shop below has, in the last 3 years been a sweet/candy shop and an expensive jeweller's. The latter closed down after only a year but the place has now re-opened - as a jeweller's:-


Finally  . . . .  Some trivia:-
  1. I wrote to a hotel in the south I'm staying at next week to ask if the room had AC. They replied that it didn't but the nights were cool. In contrast, booking.com sent me this message:- We're happy to let you know that the property has confirmed they can arrange this for you. There will be no extra charge for this request. I guess they'll be opening a window.
  2. I'm in Vigo this morning to have my car serviced. This is a large and – in contrast to Pontevedra – a very commercial city. But to say that it's bustling at 8.30 in the morning – or even 9 – would be something of an understatement.
  3. I bought a Rover car not long after I came to Spain. The Pontevedra agent closed down after a year or two. Then, 3 years ago, I bought a Honda. The agent closed down after only a month this time. Hence the nuisance of a trip to Vigo.
  4. A conversation with one of our numerous beggars yesterday; Him: You never give me anything. Me: Precisely. So why do you keep on asking me?
  5. This is a foto of Ladies Who Take a Tiffin at the bar next to mine. They are all, I estimate, in their 60s and seem to be trying to outdo each other as regards their outfits. And I'd guess that each of them spends a prince's ransom at the hairdresser's each week. I believe they're called locally PTVs - Pontevedresas por toda la vida. Which is not a compiment.


No comments: