Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Thoughts from Galicia 31.8.17

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.

As I have an awful lot to do this morning after having my wallet stolen, this will be one of the shortest of my posts . . . 

Travel News

I have mentioned the rigours of modern travel . . . 
  • If you arrive at Tribunal metro station in Madrid with only €1.80 in change and a €20 note, none of the 4 Metro employees standing around chatting will be able to sell you a ticket costing €1.90. All they can do is confirm that: 1. There is no longer a ticket office: 2. That the only way to get a ticket is from a machine, and 3. That this will give you back €18.10 in coins.
  • If you stop, en route from Madrid to Galicia at the Mesón La Mota - in La Mota de Marqués - and if you decide to try a new-to-you dish of lamb stew (asadurilla de lechazo), be warned that they probably won't have it. A visit to their web page suggests this is a permanent situation, as it's not on their menu there.
  • My recommendation to friends visiting Madrid for a camino with me in September: Keep your bank cards, cash and ID card/passport all separate, if you can. And have a list of numbers to call. Pretty obvious, really. But how many of us do it? Finally . . . If you have a Spanish bank, Start tearing your hair out.
Life in Spain

  • Here's a list from The Local of the most common Spanish profanities. I think I've used them all in the past few days, especially when dealing with my Spanish bank.
  • My daughter in Madrid insists that you see a lot more folk reading on the metro these days. Well, yes. It's true that nearly everyone was reading yesterday. Phones, of course. Only I and a guy around my age were actually reading a book.
Today's cartoon

From The Times . . . Just to annoy my Oz friend, Ian:-

No comments: