Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain.
If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.
Just odds and sods today . . .
- President Fart: If you can stand it, here's the Guardian's report on his end-year farteting of his achievements. No surprises there.
- The English Language: Eleven phrases you might be mis-using:-
- “For all intensive purposes” - “For all intents and purposes”
- “I could care less” - “I couldn’t care less”
- “One in the same” - “One and the same”
- “On accident” - “By accident”
- “Fall by the waste side” - “Fall by the wayside”
- “Irregardless” - “Regardless”
- “Self-depreciating” - “Self-deprecating”
- “Jive with” - “Jibe with” [Think I was guilty of this one last week]
- “Tongue and cheek” - “Tongue in cheek”
- “Make do” - “Make due”
- “Nip it in the butt” - “Nip it in the bud”
- Social Media: Silicon valley is 'eating your soul', it says here. Join the rebellion,
- Galicia: Pouring with rain this morning. Just what we need . . .
- Pontevedra: This is an ad for a teaching assistant job here. The (estimated) net salary of €6.14 per hour is way below what I pay my cleaner. Actually, so is the gross salary. I guess it makes sense to someone. Don't all rush.
- Liverpool tourists: Some of the daft questions they've asked:-
- An American lady, on disembarking from a cruise liner: How high are we above sea level?
- Is Abbey Road included in the bus tour?
- Referring to the Liver building: What are those birds up there?
- Where does the Leeds-Liverpool canal go?
- Are the Beatles statues at the Pier Head life sized? They are 8ft//2.4m tall.
- What is the Wirral peninsula?
- Nostalgia Corner: I read just now that the Levi denim jacket is 'the new hoodie', a must-have fashion item in 2018. Here's the one I wore every day at university, my friends tell me. But corduroy, not denim, I have to admit:-
I recall mine being rather lighter than this. Bleached by (occasional) washing, I guess.
Welcome to 2018. I've baptised it by ordering 12 bottles of red wine from a bodega in Tordesillas which I visited in 2015, on a camino.