Dawn

Dawn

Friday, June 15, 2018

Thoughts from Galicia, Spain: 15.6.18


Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable. 
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.

Spain
  • A good question.
  • I'm told the minister in question will be getting a stipend of €2,000 a month for quite some time. Not bad, eh, for a few day's work.
  • And good news for many
Life in Spain
  • The cities of Spain which collect the most money from drivers are Barcelona, Madrid, Sevilla and . . .  Pontevedra. One of these is quite a bit smaller than the others.
  • I've read that the average salary for 26-35 year olds in 2008 was €15,500pa but that it's now 10% less. I don't recall if this is merely for Galicia or the whole of Spain. I suspect the latter.
The USA and the Summit
  • What the North Koreans were told.
  • Best Fart Quote: Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, hey, I was wrong — I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse. As if we didn't know.
  • A good question about the different treatments of Iran and N Korea: So let me see if I have this straight. An actual signed agreement with the strictest enforcement regime in the history of non-proliferation agreements, which the Iranian were in full compliance with according to the UN and our own intelligence services was a worthless deal that had to be torn up. But no deal at all, just a promise to consider a deal, with no restrictions, no concessions, no enforcement mechanism and no inspection regime has now magically saved the world from the terror of North Korea’s already existing nuclear weapons.
  • A valid point: President Fart has redefined the threshold of the shocking; he is inuring us against idiocy. 
  • Is there any limit to the hypocrisy of Christian evangelists? Both the Attorney General and the appalling Ms Huckabee Saunders have cited the Bible verse Romans 13 to justify the splitting of immigrant families at the border. This instructs one to obey any and every government since they're all ordained by God to create order. You have to be very, very stupid – or simply staggeringly dishonest/duplicitous/disingenuous – not to see that this applies not only to Fart's laws but also to those of Stalin, Hitler, Putin, Kim Jong Un, and the late unlamented Saddam Hussein. Inter alios.
  • A video which sums it all up nicely.
Galicia/Pontevedra
  • Reviewing some old notes, I read that Pontevedra originally became an important town – 5-600 years ago – because of smuggling. Plus ça change . . .
Finally . . .
  • Sr Puigdemont is not happy.
  • Because, between them, Russia and Saudi Arabia have 25% of the world's crude oil reserves, some wag labelled last night' s match El Gasico. Someone else has suggested El Kalashniko in light of the current destruction of Yemen.

© David Colin Davies, Pontevedra: 14.6.18

No comments: