Dawn

Dawn

Monday, July 09, 2018

Thoughts from Galicia, Spain: 9.7.18

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable. 
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page 
hereGarish but informative.

Spain
  • Time to feel sorry for the Spanish banks? Probably not. See here on this.
  • I still wonder what the Spanish plan for migrants is, given that this country is now the obvious target of the people smugglers. Meaning that numbers are bound to soar even higher. See here and here on this.
Life in Spain
  • This, of course, is the week of bull-running in Pamplona. As ever, I'm surprised of how small los toros bravos are against the (rather more placid) cows who lead them to the pen next to the ring. Before I knew this, back in 1999, I was surprised at how astonished and impressed a Spanish visitor was at the height and weight of a (very tame) British breeding bull at the Cheshire Show. 
  • All that said, I wouldn't like to stand in front of a Spanish fighting bull. And I certainly wouldn't be foolhardy enough to run through the Pamplona streets in front of 6 of the beasts.
The EU and the UK
  • So, Mrs May had lost the chap who was supposed to be her main Brexit negotiator but who wasn't really. As I've said, it's an unholy mess and it could yet bring down the government and split the Tory party. But, if there's anyone who really thinks Jeremy Corbyn and his Momentum pals would make a better fist of the Brexit challenge, they must be insane. I guess most Brits don't, which is a major reason the Labour party isn't miles ahead in the polls in the face of utter Tory incompetence.
Galicia/Pontevedra
  • A British columnist bemoans the fact that tripe, liver and kidneys – some of of my favourite things, she says - are in danger of vanishing from the UK's shops. I've written to suggest she holidays here. She might just end up feeling fed up of them. Likewise octopus. And bloody percebes.
  • Talking of food . . .  There's a bar in Vigo which gives you FIVE tapas dishes with a glass of wine. Witness this foto of 4 of them:-


Finally
  • The commercial consequence of the world's new-found interest in doing something 'spiritual' is new caminos not only in Spain. For 2 British ones click here and here. The latter crosses the county of my birth and runs close to my last home in the UK. Formal religions might be dying but it's an ill wind . . . 

© David Colin Davies, Pontevedra: 9.7.18

No comments: