Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Thoughts from Galicia, Spain: 30.9.18

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here. Garish but informative.

Matters Spanish
  • I had 3 Spanish friends round for dinner last night. One of them arrived at the appointed time but the other two arrived somewhat later. As you'd expect. Anyway, the former had brought 2 barras of bread, since Spaniards can't eat happily unless there's bread on the table, even if they never touch it. She then proceeded to cut up one of the barras and to put the pieces in the basket I gave her. As I was clearing up around midnight, I noticed it had been left in the kitchen. Which was a tad ironic. My family of sparrows - and a large crow - are now enjoying the bread on the lawn below my salón window.
  • I got a call yesterday from someone in Madrid wanting me to rate the service of the tyre shop. As I believe it's all a pointless sham, I gave them a 10 for everything – in fact, I was happy with their service – but pointed out they'd grossly over-inflated not just the 2 new tyres but also the other 2 on the car. I had the distinct impression she hadn't expected anything other than numbers she could put into her computer. And so didn't know how to respond. I have no confidence my complaint will achieve anything but will test my scepticism when I replace the rear tyres next year.
Matters Galician and Pontevedran
  • Could there be any greater indication of the stupidity (venality?) of Galicia's politicians than the fact that our 3 puny 'international' airports can muster only 26 foreign cities between them, while Oporto's rapidly growing facility offers 69? And calls itself The Airport for all Galicians . . .
  • Talking of flights . . . Some of these being offered from here to Madrid – at around €8 – would cost you less than the tolls on the autopista between La Coruña and Vigo.
  • And talking of autovias . . . On that of the Coast of Death last week, a woman gave a new meaning to the name by drove more than 8km down the wrong side of it. So, kamikaze tendencies are not confined to the male of the species.
Finally . . .
  • Another collection of TV ads that tempt me to vomit:-
Insurance company: Our car insurance comes from the heart.

Shampoo manufacturer: Shampoo 'designed for men'. In their 'Men's Ultra Collection'.
??: Dial up the fun.
??: Be totally ready for fun.
Bingo company: Keep it fun.
A bank: We are what we do. Fleecers, then.
A furniture company: Nothing can hold you back from moving forwards
A toothpaste supplier: You'll know you're totally ready for life.

©[David] Colin Davies: 30.9.18

No comments: