Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Thoughts from Hamburg, Germany: 14.11.18

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable. 
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here. Garish but informative.

Matters Hamburg/German
  • Confession: My interest in Morris Minis and Minors is partly stimulated by the fact that my first car was a Minor, bought from my mother, who'd bought it from her brother . . . 
  • Correction: It was the Israeli-Arab war of 1966 that trapped the ship taking Travellers eastwards, for 9 years in fact. I didn't think they were still being made by then, but they were. Until April 1971, in fact.
  • I'm very impressed by the number of cyclists in Germany, and even more by the facilities provided for them, and the considerate treatment they get from drivers.
  • I'm even more impressed by Hamburg's urban train system, which seems to result in a very reduced number of buses on the roads, compared with, say, London or Manchester.
  • Yesterday, I spent 4 hours at what's said to be Hamburg's number one attraction – The Miniatur Wunderland – essentially a vast model railway which you can learn about here and, on Youtube, here. I'm not surprised it gets a 96% positive rating on Tripadvisor. Nor by the fact that there are, as ever, some malcontents who rate it Terrible. BUT . . . I was lucky for this, my second visit. In the middle of November there was a slight problem with the numbers circulating but nothing as bad as it can be in summer or at weekends, I'm told. When you might have to queue/wait for 2-4 hours. It's a truly astonishing achievement, the cream on the cake being the numerous humorous scenarios that you can find if you look hard at the figures. The only real downside for me was the bloody kid monopolising the machine which churned out little bars of Lindt chocolate at the model chocolate factory.
Matters Spanish
The EU/The UK/Brexit
  • Something important might or might not have happened yesterday. And,
  • something important will happen today, when yesterday's (possible) development is considered by the British cabinet. But,
  • Most people are too exhausted by the saga to care.
Spanish
© [David] Colin Davies, Hamburg: 14.11.18

No comments: