Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Thoughts from Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain: 10.9.19

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.  
                  Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain
Spain
  • I've mentioned that one of the Portuguese kids who claim to have seen the Virgin Mary in Fatima 80 years ago came to Galicia and lived in convents in both Tui and Pontevedra, where she saw more apparitions. Or so some Catholics believe. Other Catholics believe 'ours' is a fraud. But, anyway, an article I read today said there'd been more than 12 million visits to the Pontevedra sanctuary in 40 years. I calculate this to be more than 300,000 a year or 820 a day. I can't say I've seen any evidence of even 1 a day in the 19 years I've been here but perhaps there were long lines around the block in the more Catholic days of Franco.
  • Talking of the (some say) dictator . . . Two precious statues from the marvellous Pórtico de Gloria of Santiago cathedral came into his possession during his reign. No doubt as 'gifts from a grateful people'. The State would like them back but the odious Franco family refuses to give them up, forcing the State into the courts. Where it's now been decided that the family must allow the public to see them 4 days a month and can't sell them or let them leave the country. I wouldn't put either of these past them.
  • I forgot to say that the folk living near that steep staircase are demanding more police action against the drug dealing that takes place in the gypsy settlements in my barrio. Which rather surprised me, as I see the boys in blue( and green) mounting raids and car searches pretty frequently.
  • Life in Spain: This foto is taken towards the bottom of the street of my main watering hole:-


The owners of 'my' restaurant/bar have had problems with a neighbour and have been compelled by the courts to leave 3 metres between their tables and the wall of said neighbour. This is the legal requirement but one which is being totally ignored by every other restaurant and tapas bar down the street. With complete impunity. Indeed, the owners of the bar in the foto were already breaking the law before they, last week, added the second row of tables. But nothing will be done by the police unless and until someone initiates a civil suit.
  • The same basic approach is taken by the police in respect of cyclists and e-scooterists on the pavements. Except, as I well know, in this case they won't do anything even if you bring an incidence to their notice. This is a pragmatic approach I normally admire, until it affects me personally . . .
  • An astonishing statistic. Especially in a country with so many empty dwellings. Presumably most/all in the wrong place.
The UK
  • Is there anyone in the country who's not relieved that the parliamentary madhouse has been closed down for 5 weeks?
The Way of the World
  • There was a scarcely believable item on Sky News UK this morning about a zoo deciding not to 'gender' a particular penguin. I'm assuming:- 1. This means they won't be putting a large M or F on the bird's chest, and 2. It won't make the slightest bit of difference to its behaviour.
Nutters Corner
  • One for all you educated women out there. All to do with God's will, apparently.
Spanish
  • The (troublesome) subjunctive mood: I thought I'd check these out with Google Translate. And now wonder if all native Spanish speakers would agree with the computer:-
- I didn't know it was going to rain: No sabía que iba a llover.
- I thought it wasn't going to rain: Pensé que no iba a llover.
- I was sure it wasn't going to rain: Estaba seguro de que no iba a llover.
- I wasn't sure it was going to rain: No estaba seguro de que iba a llover
- I feared it wasn't going to rain: Temía que no lloviera.

Finally . . .
  • There's an ad for an opticians on British TV which has the strap line - Taking vision seriously. I would have thought this was the very least you could expect from such a company.

No comments: