Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, October 03, 2019

Thoughts from Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain: 3.10.19

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.   
                  Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain

Note 1: A few of the items below have been borrowed from Lenox Napier's Business Over Tapas of today..
Note 2: What with travelling and meeting up with my daughters and grandchildren, I've not had time to write this post until 8pm, as against 8am normally. An acceptable excuse, I fancy.

The Spanish Economy
Spanish Life 
Galicia Life
  • I brought a few bottles of my favourite Albariño wine to the UK and, whilst partaking of one with a friend on Monday night, chanced to read this description of it on the web: The Albariño 'O'Rosal' from Bodegas Terras Gauda is the perfect blend of the best native Rí:as Baixas grape varieties. The Albariñ:o grapes contribute frutal aromas and volume in the mouth, the Loureiro grapes provide a good floral aromatic intensity and the Caiñ:o grapes bring exotic fruit aromas and most importantly, great structure. The resulting wine has a great complexity where the fusion of apricot, aromatic herbs, orange peel and white flower aromas are sustained by subtle mineral hints and mint and eucalyptus notes flowing over a light and pleasant creamy background. On the palate, this wine is creamy, dense and meaty with touches of minerality and its fresh acidity reveals honey at the very end of its long finish. Best served with seafood, especially oysters and crab, as well as creamy dishes and Asian cuisine with rich and spicy sauces. I have to say that I tried and utterly failed to achieve any of these flavours, however much air I sucked into my mouth to oxygenate what was lying in my pallet. I'll just have to keep on trying.
Pontevedra Life
The UK/The EU/Brexit
  • Is there anyone in the world who believes the EU will accept the latest British proposals? Roll on a hard Brexit and further falls in the pound.
The USA
Spanish
Finally
  • As well as being fortunate with the weather so far, I've also been astonishingly lucky with traffic jams. In 3 days of driving, all of these have been on the other side of the central reservation. Sometimes for miles and miles. Tomorrow, though, there'll be very high winds and heavy rain. Appropriate for a funeral, perhaps.

No comments: