Dawn

Dawn

Friday, November 15, 2019

Thoughts from Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain: 15.11.19

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.   
                  Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain
Spanish Politics
Spanish Life 
  • Here's the sort of thing most of us foreigners want to write after a few years in Spain. I disagree that it's noisy on the Madrid metro. My experience suggests it's one of the few quiet - silent even - places in all Spain.
  • Click here for info on Spain's (few) veggie restaurants. I imagine Santiago ranks quite high because of all the woke young 'pilgrims' who end up there. Not much native demand, I suspect.
  • The return of an old favourite.
Galician Life 
  • Back in September, I cited reports of a new ferry from Vigo to Ireland and the UK as of November. I said I'd believe it when I saw it. So was not totally surprised to hear that all the relevant parties had denied this in October
The UK
  • I recently voiced a thought that, over in the USA, your choice is between 2 insane politicians at opposite ends of the spectrum. Jeremy Corbyn seems bent - via election promises of various (re)nationalisations - in proving that this at least half true of the UK as well.
  • Meanwhile . . . Find out here why There’s going to be an extremely messy break-up when Nigel finds out what Nigel has done to Nigel. Some very funny aperçus. Yet another political career ending in failure. Sic transit gloria mundi, as they say/said. There must be a bucketload of schadenfreude over in Brussels.
The USA
  • Here's an amusing - but shocking - video on the execrable crook who's Ffart's spiritual adviser. Is there a gene for gullibility prevalent in the USA, I wonder. Does no one really care there just how millions are made, either by Paula Jones et al or by Ffart himself? Worse, is there admiration of it?
The Way of the World
  • Talking of gullibility . . . There has been a sixfold increase in SUVs since 2010, from 35 million to 200 million, and they now account for 40% of new car sales, despite the fact that the soaring demand for them exacerbates the climate crisis. I know a marketing triumph when I see one but I've never been able to understand why so many folk succumbed to this one. Some form of vanity, I guess.
Finally . . .
  • This is a bit of a shock but is it really true? Or fake news? Or a parody gone wrong?

No comments: