Dawn

Dawn

Friday, February 21, 2020

Thoughts from Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain: 21.2.20

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.   
Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain  
Spanish Politics
Spanish/Galician Life 
  • Good news for my daughter renting out her flat in central Madrid? But not good news for Spain, I guess.
  • Talking of the capital city . . . 3 observations from Tim Parfitt's A Load of Bull:-
- “Welcome to Madrid”, said Francisco. “Where 8 o'clock means 10 o'clock.”
- In Madrid nothing is ever done half-heartedly.
- Madrid's most exuberant month is May, when the city comes spectacularly into its own. I look forward to checking this out this year.
  • In the UK, one's 'youth' stretches  - I believe - from 18 to 26. Here in Spain, it's 18 to 36, as I saw yesterday in an article reporting that our 'young' drivers are the 'least prudent' in the country. Another reason - perhaps the main one - why our insurance premiums are the highest in Spain. As to why they're so reckless? Who knows.
  • As I skirted the newly concreted area at the end of O Burgo bridge yesterday, I witnessed 4 people ignoring the temporary deviation so as to walk straight across it. Even though there was a guy operating a polishing(?) machine on it. Not for the first time, I wondered in how many other countries there'd be such flagrant ignoring of (personally inconvenient) restrictions. Independismo, as they say.
  • Oh, we now have a date for the completion of the bridge works - 'End May'. This year, I believe. About 11 months late.
  • This foto is just to support my contention that there's just as much concern here - in Galicia at least - as there is in the UK about cuts in healthcare. The system is not as perfect as some would make out. Though, given that it's a devolved matter, it might well be better in other regions than it is here:-

The EU 
  • Perfidious Deutschland? See here for an interesting account of respective performances - of the  UK and Germany - in 'the race for green energy'.
Nutters Corner
Spanish  
  • Words of the Day-
  1. Riña: Fight, quarrel, brawl. Often used in reports of gypsy 'account settling'.
  2. Manivela: Handle, lever
English
  • Here's 10 words/phrases which differ between US and British English:-
- Realtor - Estate agent
- Sneakers - Trainers
- Cilantro - Coriander
- Eggplant - Aubergine
- Blinkers - Indicators
- Chutes and ladders - Snakes and ladders
- Faucet - Tap
- Sophomore - 2nd year student at college or university. No equivalent in Brit English.
- Freshman - Fresher
- Bangs - Fringe

Finally . . .  
  • Today it's 3 months since I made my application for Irish nationality. So I thought I'd post this article I wrote a while back on this subject:-
APPLYING FOR ANOTHER NATIONALITY: SPANISH OR IRISH?

During the 3 years since the shock referendum verdict of mid 2016, there's been a lot of talk of a Hard Brexit which would - eventually - remove from Brits all the rights they've had in the EU for several decades. These would include access to the Spanish healthcare system and visa-free travel for Brits and their kids. On top of this, there'd be new bureaucratic hurdles, including a different ID card to reflect our inferior status.

I've never believed things would come to such a pass - relying both on a belief in the power of the British Establishment to stop it and the common sense among all parties. At the back of my mind, there was also the security of knowing I could retain my rights by obtaining either Spanish or Irish nationality.

But it wasn't until early this year that I was motivated by Conservative party developments - to investigate the respective processes, influenced a little upfront by the fact I'd heard a friend complain - over 2-3 years - about how the Spanish option was what's called here un calvario. And this from a fluent Spanish speaker who'd lived here for many years. An important negative aspect was that the Spanish government doesn't allow dual nationality and so demands that you give up your British passport.

So, I took look at the relevant Spanish web page and, finding the English hard to follow, decided to have no more to do with that option and moved quickly to investigate my Irish option. This was available to me because my grandmother was born in Ireland and, thus, my father had automatically been an Irish citizen. Ironically, I don't think he ever knew he was both British and Irish. As very many folk born on Merseyside are.

Over the next few months, I got together all the certificates and photos required by the Irish government to allow me to go onto the Irish Birth Register. Once achieved, I could claim a passport. When all was ready, I took advantage of a visit to my elder daughter in Madrid to take the papers to the Irish embassy there and duly lodged them with a nice lady. I now wait on confirmation of registration. This used to take only 6 months but, such has been the rise in applications, it could now take 9 or even 12.

Below is my comparison between the Spanish and Irish processes and my caveat is that I'm much more familiar with the latter than the former. So, it's not something to rely on if you've no choice but to go the Spanish route. The government page will be a good start as regards this - if you can figure out what the English text means - but must, I'm sure, be augmented by talking to someone who knows more than I do about it. And I'm told that many people need to take at least an interpreter with them when they go to talk to the Registro Civil about their application. Possibly even a gestor.

One final point in this preamble . . . I don't know much about the challenge of getting British nationality - other than the residence requirement is 5 years, against a norm of 10 in Spain - so I can't compare it with either that of Ireland or Spain

All that said, this is my overview of  how the challenges differ. I won't be at all surprised - or upset - to be told I've got some things wrong.

Stages
The Irish process involves, firstly, an application to go on the Irish Birth Registration and, secondly, a passport application.
The Spanish process involves at least one (multi-stepped) stage and probably a subsequent passport application.

Who to Apply to?
Spain: The Ministerio de Justicia.
Ireland: The Dept of foreign Affairs and Trade.

How?
Spain: I think on the internet but suspect visits to some offices will also be involved.
Ireland: Only on line.

Web Page Information 
Spain: http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/Portal/en/ciudadanos/tramites-gestiones-personales/nacionalidad-residencia  
Ireland: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

Time from start to finish
Spain: 3 to 4 years, possibly even more.
Ireland: 6 to 12 months

Requirements
Spain: A lot. See the web page: At least: 1. A period of residence which depends on your status; 2.Certificates of birth etc.; 3. Proof of ID; 4. A Spanish language diploma 5. Evidence of 'sufficient integration': 6. Proof of residence; 7 Criminal checks in both Spain and the UK.
Ireland: 1. A parent or grandparent born in Ireland; 2. Certificates of birth etc.; 3. Proof of ID; 4. Proof of residence.
Most importantly, there's no requirement for residence in Ireland; your entitlement is based on descendence rom an Irish native.

Complexity of the Process(Ease of Application)
Spain: High. The English of the web page is poor (What is a 'literal certificate'?); the application form will surely be long and complex; you might have to deal with a Spanish bureaucrat and, if so, the language of communication will surely be Spanish. So, as I've said, you might be well advised to pay a gestor help you.
Ireland: Low. There is a short form of only 4 pages with a 2-3 easy questions on each page;  the English of both the advice page and the application itself is very clear; you'll only have to deal with a computer. Finally, If anything more is needed beyond what you've sent, an email will be acceptable. I can't imagine this being the case with the Spanish option.

Risk of Getting Something Wrong and Slowing Things Down
Spain: High
Ireland: Low

Cost:
Spain: €102, plus the costs of certificates and of everything else you have to provide or do. A language diploma, for example. The fees of any interpreter and gestor are, of course a piece of string.
Ireland: €270 plus the costs of any certificates you need to get in Ireland or the UK. An easy process, with  prices for slow or fast delivery. There are several sites which will help you identify the dates and details of the certificates you might need, becaause you don't already have them.

Keeping Your British Passport
Spain: No (in theory, at least)
Ireland: Yes

Irritation Factor
Spain: High, I imagine.
Ireland: Low

Stress Levels
Spain: High, I again imagine.
Ireland:Low

Finally, my sympathies go out to anyone who has no choice but to go the Spanish route. And, if you haven't already started on this odyssey, you might find than any transition period ends before you get Spanish  nationality.

In other words, you really should have started before the referendum was held!


THE PROMO

Galicia Living is a new property development outfit here in Southern Galicia (As Rías Baixas), owned by a friend of mine. So, if you're looking for a house here - or to sell one - get in touch with them. And, if you're particularly interested in the lovely Miño area down on the border with Portugal, let me know on doncolin@gmail.com and I'll send you my write-up on it.

No comments: