Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

I wrote last week of the prevalence of the piecemeal approach to things in Spain but, watching the UK news report this morning about the Diploma that will replace GCSEs and A Levels, it struck me that nothing could be more piecemeal than the construction of the now tottering British education system over the last 30 years or so.

There will be a general election here in Spain in March. So were now in what is called the ‘pre-campaign’ period. The parties here eschew the sort of comprehensive manifestos offered to voters in the UK and, instead, go in for promises of increasing extravagance, drip fed to the public. In the last week or so, we have been offered - inter alia - English language teaching for everyone, 2 million fewer unemployed within a couple of years, the total elimination of the ETA terrorist threat and seven doe-eyed virgins each. Oh, no. My mistake. That’s Islam.

Given the universal scepticism – and media disdain - with which these promises are received, you have to wonder why the politicians bother but I guess they think some people must believe them. Anyway, I don’t suppose today’s announcement that Spain will seek to vitiate the upcoming European elections in not just Gibraltar but also the UK is entirely unconnected with March’s general election.

Wordwatch
All of these words were in one Sunday paper last weekend, admittedly in the Arts section for the most part. I suspect that it is here that the most avant-garde writers polish their apples:-
Los chillouts – Relaxation areas in clubs.
Un stand – Stand or stall. Again, this has the English plural ‘stands’, not the Spanish ‘standes’.
El gran feeling – Your guess is as good as mine
Un multiplex – As in English
El Establishment – Ditto. [Article on Princess Diana, of course. Replete with conspiracy theories.]
Una road movie – Ditto
Un blog – Ditto
El glamour – Ditto
Password – Ditto, in place of contraseña. For no good reason, as far as I can see.

Sometimes I wonder why I am bothering to learn Spanish. Such is the pace of adoption, if I hang around for long enough, I shouldn’t need to.

No comments: