Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Galicia’s ‘national’ tree is the oak but around here these days you’re far more likely to find yourself in a forest of eucalyptus trees, which are faster growing and so far more profitable. How fitting, then, that the eucalyptus also goes by the name of Tasmanian oak.

On 30 June, I mentioned some dangerously-sited new speed bumps and forecast an increase in the accident rate. So I was pleased to see today that one of them has now been removed. Talking of risk, I read this evening that the mini motor-bikes I wrote about a couple of days ago can achieve a speed of 90 kph, or 56mph. But I don’t know how long you have to maintain this speed before the fuel line burns through and the bike explodes. Not long, I imagine.

Well, the photo in my Profile hasn’t yet brought me a proposal of marriage. Or of any sort. But a number of people have asked me who makes the beautiful white wine featured in it. Well, it’s an Albariño wine, produced locally by my friend Andrew and his wife, Angela. It sells in the UK and the USA under the name Castro Martín and is well worth the price. If you’ve read my web page on Galicia and checked out the photos there, you’ll already know Andrew was in the original photo but I cut him out as he’s younger and better looking than me. Besides, as a married man, he has no need of a rich Spanish widow or divorcee.

Quote of the Week

Do you Charles take Camilla to be your lawful wedded wife?
Slip up by the vicar at the wedding of Charles Hart to Lady Sybilla Rufus Isaacs

No comments: