Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, August 10, 2006

12.40: Third blog of the day.

‘Biolitical’ has written to reject a couple of the contentions in the Voz de Galicia article I posted earlier. This is in line with his/her belief that the major cause of the fires is the weather conditions working in conjunction with the widespread practice of scrub-burning by Galician farmers. As I say, I don’t know but – as I’ve indicated - my gut tells me he/she is more right than those who attribute the fires to a motley crew of criminals, pyromaniacs, timber merchants, property developers and drug dealers. To me, the latter smacks of expedient conspiracy thinking. But, then, the irony is that Biopolitical believes there is a widespread conspiracy to hide the truth from the public. And, by inference, so do I.

If this is true, then the local politicians are massively implicated not only in allowing it to go on happening but in weakening the capability to deal with the situation even when it is normal, never mind when it gets out of hand. No wonder they are doing their utmost to blame it on caricature figures such as ‘forestal terrorists’.

But, then, they couldn’t hope to get away with this if there weren’t a gullible populace and a hoodwinkable media.

No comments: