Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Having dined this evening with my daughter in an excellent Thai restaurant in North Leeds - one of three near her flat - I'm now wondering when we can expect to see one of these in Galicia. Probably not in my lifetime, I suspect - given the standard Galician reaction to the thought of spicey food. But, hey, we do have Japanese restaurants in both Vigo and La Coruña. Though, sadly, not yet in Pontevedra.

We re-visited Harrogate today, enjoying an excellent steak and ale pie in a traditional British pub, before spending a couple of hours in some beautiful Royal Horticultural Society gardens not far from the city. It struck me that it wasn't hard to understand why chocolate-box Britain is so appealing to foreign tourists. Especially when the sun shines, as it did today.

But rain is forecast for tomorrow, when I drive to London. And the horse chestnut trees are two weeks ahead of schedule, raising concerns about the international conker championships scheduled for October. Dratted global warming. Which brings cold, wet summers, apparently.

No comments: