Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Columbus Museum - Chapter 26: Well, we polled up at 5.45 to find both doors shut and bolted. In the adjacent bar they told me there used to be two chicas working the morning shift but they thought they'd stopped. This was rather odd as both the web page and the notice on the door said the place was only open in the evenings. Disappointed but not overly surprised, we hied ourselves to the Poio Centro de Turismo and to a very pretty young lady with a disconcerting little silver ring through one nostril . . . .
- Hello. Good evening. Is there anything I can help you with?
- Yes, there is. Or at least, I hope so. I'd really like to visit the Crístobal Colón museum but I've tried 5 times without success. I've just been there and it's closed.
- Well, there were 2 chicas there during the morning and 1 during the evening but there's been a re-arrangement and the 2 chicas have ended their collaboration. I'll get the phone number of the chica who's supposed to be there in the evening . . . . . . Right, got it. I'll give her a call . . . . She's not taking the call. Anyway, she'll be there in the morning, I suppose.
- That's odd, both the web page and the horario on the door say it's only open in the evenings. But, nonetheless, we'll go in the morning and, if she's not there, I'll come back and let you know.
- OK. That would be good. We need information about what they're doing. It's not for want of asking. It's embarrassing not knowing and having to deal with enquiries.
- OK. I'll let you know either way.
- Thanks. By the way, there's no exhibition at the moment. So, if you do get into the museum, there's really nothing to see except the building.

I have to say, all this is beginning to shake my faith in the validity of the belief that Columbus was from around these parts. There seems to be a certain lack of seriousness.

Gardening Corner. My hydrangeas have been blue for at least a decade. This year they're white. Can it be because I did what Nice-but-Noisy Toni recommended and pruned all the 'male' branches? Those without flowers. Or is it because something has lowered the acidity of the soil? If so, what? Excess winter rain?

Those crazy Brits: The dancing vicaress.

Those unhappy Germans: Majorca mon (ex)amour.

Summertime: And the post goes awry. Received a letter today 14 days after it was posted in the UK. Magazines nowhere to be seen.

Youth unemployment in Spain: The rationale.

Things are different in Spain: Well, not exclusively. An Italian observation: "It's unlikely that Mr Berlusconi will ever go to jail."
15 Spanish tapas recipes: Well, 14. One is from the Philippines. And one is Pulpo a la gallega, which I dislike for 2 reasons. 1. It's pulpo, and 2. It's a la gallega. Meaning an awful lot of sweet paprika.

The moribund corrida?: Death in the afternoons?

Finally . . . Spain's super-moon: I tried to snap it a few times without success so here's someone's else's achievement.

No comments: